Owning title 2 weapons in the USA.

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by Ranb, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ranb

Ranb Former Guest

I was requested to write a piece on ownership of title 2 weapons (machine guns, silencers etc) in the USA and post it here. Please let me know if I made any mistakes or if I can provide more clarification. I would like to hear from those who deal in title 2 weapons as a business and those who own them as a hobby. Thanks.

Ranb
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Your summary is excellent, but I think you need to place more emphasis on the fact that while some NFA items are legal (if registered) under Federal law, they may be illegal under state or local law. As a good example, suppressors (aka "silencers") are illegal in some states, and one state allows machineguns, but not semi-automatics or selective fire weapons, so an M3 SMG is legal, but a Thompson SMG is not.

BATFE will not allow transfer into a state or locality where the firearm would be illegal (the actual reason for the CLEO signature), but sometimes people will take an NFA firearm into an area where it is illegal, even if it is registered under Federal law.

Jim
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

For up-to-date understandings of NFA-related laws and rulings, the best source available is the NFA Handbook, a publication of BATFE.

No printed version is available, as they update the thing too frequently to make that feasible. You can download the PDF here: http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/nfa-handbook/