Oxpho blue, it works!

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by da357mag, Mar 24, 2012.

1. da357mag

da357mag New Member

As I have said I have been taking a well beat up M70 and basically rebuild it. When whoever resined the barrel channel when they went to get the excess off
    they scratched the barrel good!:eek: And there were scratches on the bottom of the barrel as well. So I got some Oxpho blue from Brownell's and this morning I decided to see about fixing it! this is the scratches on the side of the barrel.

[​IMG],

Not the greatest pic but you can see the scrapes. This is after the first application.

[​IMG],

Better but not all covered, this is after three more applications.

[​IMG],

As you can see they are gone! Two things I learned about doing this it it has to be oil free! and then when your done oil the area as bluing is a form of rust! I'm not sure what would happen if you didn't oil it but I figured why take a chance! The stock is pillar bedded and almost done with the refinished and I will be ready to see how she shoots!:D Doug
  2. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Doug, when Oxpho-Blu first came out, I put it to the test on their claims. While it doesn't do a "great" job matching a high polish blue for touch up, it works great on about everything else. It will work on oil and rust covered metal, when applied with fine steel wool, just about fool proof. Hands down the best cold blue I've yet to find.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That is the kind of job cold blues are made for and Oxpho is one of the best. But a full blue job? Sorry, won't hold up to any wear or use.

Jim
  4. da357mag

da357mag New Member

I agree with you Jim, I don't think it was made for a "full" bluing job, but when I got this rifle it was scraped on the barrel in many places and I had done some homework and it got a good review. So after what I had read I decided to try it This is a pic of the side of the barrel before,

[​IMG],

This is the side of the barrel that was damaged the most, and there were also scrapes on the bottom of the barrel. I also did those as well this is the first application,

[​IMG],
    and this is after three,

[​IMG],

It covered well! This rifle was beat to hell when I got it and I have basically rebuilt the whole rifle! this is what it looks like now

[​IMG],

It's a new rifle and tomorrow it's range day! More to come! Doug:)
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

EWwwwww....NICE!!!
    Love the looks of that and that thumbhole laminate stock in that color, sets the rifle off!
  6. da357mag

da357mag New Member

it ain't completely done yet, I still have to rub the stock out to give it the simi gloss I want, but when the weather clears I will be able to try out my handy work!:D Thanks Doug
  7. Airdale

Airdale Member

Nicely done. Good looking rifle.