1. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Last night our Masonic lodge held our annual oyster supper.:D And, yours truely is/was the "cook". 20 or so of us sat and ate $140 worth :eek:(1.5 gal) of oysters, in our usual fashon, "stewed" with butter, cream, and milk. Of course topped with oyster crackers. Great way to warm up on a cold winter day.:p My question today is for all the folks hear that have access, and eat alot of oysters. Other than raw, what are some of your favorite dishes with oysters? And of course, a recipy if you have one. Thanks, I will be keeping an eye on this as we usually have some at Christmas,:D and might rock the boat with a new recipe!!;) Best reguards Kirk
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

The very best way to eat them is Nude. Next to that, stewed and fried are terrific, too.

Whenever I roast a turkey, I love to have the stuffing made with oysters. I use a quart or so and blend it so that the flavor is well distributed. The dressing resulting is worth eating by itself, even better than the turkey itself.

Unfortunately, SoMo and I disagree on this type dressing.....
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Thats the best way to eat everything Marlin! :D

Also please post that dressing recipe!!!

:D
  4. Marlin

I don't use a set recipe, Donny, and have really gotten lazy in my ole age !!!

Instead of saving the heals of bread for a couple months and starting from scratch, I begin with an amount of Pepperidge Farm Herbal Dressing mix sufficient to do the job and then follow my Father's way of doing things that he learned from his mother, my Grammie.

Start with the Pepperidge Farm mix, add freshly chopped onions, additional poultry seasoning and other spices to make it fit your taste, use Campbell's Chicken Broth in stead of water to mix, along with some of the oyster juices, and, finally, add the blended oysters, but not blended so as to be pure├ęd.

The quantities of each ingredient fit the rule of mixing some of this with a little of that until you have enough to stuff the bird, front and back, and still have extra to bake in a side dish.

Stuff the bird lightly, not packing it in, and follow the instructions for roasting the bird....

Makes a delicious feast and will serve any crowd usually around on a Holiday, either Thanksgiving or Christmas. Traditionally, however, this was not our Christmas dinner, but I know it is for many.

Our traditional Christmas dinner growing up was always a very rare roast beef and the fixin's that go with beef.....
  5. For us, that has always been reserved for New Years, Marlin. We usually do a standing rib roast. Nowadays, we can serve it as rare as we like since my oldest daughter is no longer in the household. She could never abide rare meat. I agree with you on the oyster dressing, though I am the only one in the family who likes it. ;)
  6. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

#1 way is RAW
    #2 way is fried
    # 3 way is take a fresh oyster right from the bay (or sack) still in the shell and lay it on top of a piece of metal with a really good bed of coals under it Let the oyster roast in its own juice they will pop open when done. Remove from fire with your GLOVED left hand pop the top of the shell with the right hand being very careful not to break the cracker roll oyster onto the cracker add a bit if horseradish and eat. after ten or so dozen sit down breath now Belch so you have room for more:D
    #4 way is a stew with lots of onions and oysters
    I can almost eat my weight in oysters but then I am counting the shells:D
  7. firebird

firebird New Member

LOL! Some people post pix...Please remember this is a FAMILY forum! LMAO!!;):D
  8. Always remember, firebird, oysters are good for the libido. :D
  9. firebird

firebird New Member

Good Lord, Rich! Do you HONESTLY think I didn't know that?!?! LOL!:rolleyes:

I imagine showing a little skin (as per Marlin, of course) doesn't hurt either!:D

Some don't have to do a whole helluva lot to get a person's libido going...such as...oh I dunno...blue eyes...
  10. . . . red hair . . . :D;):p
  11. firebird

firebird New Member

:)
  12. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

You two just need to get "stewed" together! ;) LOL Kirk
  13. firebird

firebird New Member

You referring to Marlin and SoMo??:confused:

...yeah I think Marlin's gonna get his freak on!!:D

WOO-HOO!!!!! Go Marlin, Go Marlin!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D
  14. Marlin

NAH, firebird. He's talkin' 'bout you an pistol !!!!!! ROTFLMAO !!!!! :D
  15. firebird

firebird New Member

Surely you jest! I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy...or even Pistol!:D:D:D
  16. Couldn't be Marlin, since I don't drink . . . (the funnel was invented a long time ago). :D;):p
  17. djohns6

djohns6 New Member

Saw somebody on THE FOOD NETWORK take some Oysters on the halfshell , put a pat of butter on them with a little TONY'S seasoning and place them on the BBQ grill . I plan on trying that soon .
  18. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Fry them up on the Barbeque and when they pop open hit'em with some tabasco sauce and enjoy.