P.35 pistol serial# explanation please

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by rhj, Dec 31, 2008.

1. rhj

rhj New Member

Sirs:
    I want to buy a radom pistol. I have read about production and a search on this forum was very helpful but I am confused about the serial #s. Is there actually a " 1/E8001...2/h8900" (examples)? I have not seen such a prefix.
    I have seen "E8001' for example but never a 1/ or 2/ preceding the alphabet number.
    Sorry for the ignorance. Thank you.
    Have a happy new year.
    Bob
  2. sjb2000k

sjb2000k New Member

I have not seen any documented cases of serial numbers with a number preceeding an alpha character.

that said the known serial number patterns are -

polish (pre-war)

- no alpha characters -

german (captured parts and regular production)

- 10 to (some references say) 12 thousand - no alpha characters - just numbers

then

alpha characters (except to my knowledge I, O , Q and X) from A to Z and then A to K (some references imply existance of L - could be April ? 45 ).

What made you ask this question?
  3. sjb2000k

sjb2000k New Member

I think I have came across the same thread you did. On "The German Military Forum" there is a thread where the site moderator "Vis35" is answering a Serial Number question from one of the mebers. And he is referring to the :

"..1/alpha#### = first alphabet serial numbering; 2/alpha#### = second alphabet serial numbering........."

this is copy/paste from his response - hope this is not against the rules here.

He is referring to the first run of the aplhabet - A > Z excluding I O Q V X Y

and second run A>K (possibly L)