1. wng-2

wng-2 Member

My Dad gave me this P-38. He bought it used in the 50’s. I’d like to know the manufacturer , age and value of this weapon. Thanks very much.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. kx1a

kx1a Member

byf equals Mauserwerk
    44 equals year of manufacture
    WaA135 equals the proof acceptance stamp for Mauser
    There should be the same serial number on other parts of the pistol as well as the frame and the slide.
    May need additional pics to determine value. I'll leave that to the more experienced in prices
    Bill
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

A bit of a technicality, but 135 was the number assigned to the officer who was head of the WaffenAmt (Weapons Office) inspection team at Mauser. He obviously didn't personally inspect all the weapons Mauser made but he was the team commander and administrator and was ultimately responsible for production and quality.

That gun appears to be all matched and in good shape; my WAG at retail value would be $700 or so.

If you ever need to identify that pistol for your records or any legal purpose, complete and unambiguous identification would include the maker, year, number and the suffix letter: P.38, byf (Mauser) 1944, serial number 1625 t.

Jim
  4. wng-2

wng-2 Member

Cool, thanks very much!