1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

P-51 & P-38

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marlin T, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

GREAT pics Marlin...where was the show?

We have one here in Indy called the Mt.Comfort Air Show that is rated as one of the best in the states every year, but that ain't indy underneath I don't think....

I've seen these guys perform before....plus lots of times they fly formation with a B-25, or have mock dogfights with some AT-6s done up to look like Zeros....
  3. Sackett

Sackett Member

My two favorite U.S. fighters. Thanks for the pics.
  4. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

Do they do mock dogfights against each other? The reason I ask is that it almost looks like they have "kills" marked on their port side drop tanks.

Want the best of both worlds? Here's the f-82 Twin Mustang.

Attached Files:

5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

During the last few month of WWII, I saw a P38 at the local airport, which was a base used by the USAF and Army for "security storage." The machine gun compartments had been replaced with cockpits and the pilots cockpit had been guttted and filled with camera gear. I've never been able to find any documentation on this, including queries through the San Diego Museum.

Pops
  6. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Armed, the P-38 was used pretty extensively as a high altitude fast photo-recon plane in WWII, starting as early as late 1942....mostly in Europe.

Early ones I believe were just field conversions of early model Lightnings, with all the armament removed, but by 1943 they were making purpose built ones called F-4s (I think, if I remember right....) with no armament, so they flew even faster, and they were painted all over a light almost powder blue for camoflage. They usually flew solo missions, high and fast, taking pre-and post strike photos before and after every heavy bombing raid

Later in the war German interceptors mainly FWs managed to catch them pretty regularly and they started taking fairly heavy casualties, so on the later ones they reinstalled two .50s to give them a chance to fight back....and some got kills as well as pictures....

Here's a pict of one...they called them "Photo-Joes"

http://p38assn.org/images/p38s/photo-joe.jpg

They also tried an experiment turning P-38s into "Bomber Leaders" where they removed the armament and built a "glass nose" for a bombardier, who was supposed to signal when the heavy bomber formation following was to drop, but they weren't very successful and withdrawn, because a lead bomber could do it just as well AND drop it's own bombs....but I wonder if what you saw at the end of WWII was one of those that was refitted with camera equipment instead....
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  7. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The point is that I've never seen another P-38 with the cockpit faired over and a pilot bubble installed on top of each engine nacelle. That was what caught my curiosity. Enough so that I asked someone at the airport about it and got chased out and the hole in the fence at the back repaired. :D

FYI: in 1945 I was 6 years old. Didn't take much fence-hole to let me in.

Pops