P-51

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marlin T, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Yup, Bob Hoover flew an Aero Commander in his airshow performances......and what an amazing pilot he is, doing those airobatics in a two engine non-airobatic aircraft.

I have 300+ hours.....mostly in a Stinson L-5, Citabria, and twin engine UC-78 "Bamboo Bomber" .....Sims are fun, but not at all like the "real thing".
  2. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

Popgunner do you remember which P51D it was?

Yep X your correct. If I could trade in my hundreds of hours in for just a hundred or so would be really cool!!!!! Some of the planes are the same as the real thing, right down to the last rivet. But it is still just a sim.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  3. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

You are right, Pop; sims are not the real thing. I think they are more difficult in some respects because you don't have the peripheral vison thing going for you - turning from base to final is much easier in a real airplane than in a simulator. Getting lined up with the latter is more difficult, but from all reports, sims are valuable teaching tools. Fun, too! :)

And far cheaper then the real airplanes. Anyone had a greaser in real flight? I have had only one, and was not even trying. It really is cool when you suddenly realize you ARE on the runway! Sooo Smoooth :)

LL
  4. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Neat Pics!

I used to skydive in the 80's & Bob Hoover flew that Aero Commander @ all the Airshows we jumped in. I knew there was a reason that plane looked famillar.

As for my flight experience, I held the stick on a Citribria for 10 min., once...:eek: I have about 280 hours riding up to altitude 520 times, jumped out 518 times. I have about 5 hours in Freefall!
    Jumped from: DC3, Twin Otter, King Beech, Cessna 182 & 206, Stearman & a Sikorsky 58T. AHH...my wild & carefree youth:eek:

All my life I spent most of my money on women, skydiving, guns, motorcycles & having fun. The rest of my money, I wasted. :D
  5. Marlin T

Yes indeed, the USAF uses, or at least used MS Flight Sim 9 (century of flight). It all depends on who makes the aircraft and how much they know about flight dynamics. There are some that are totally correct in every way, that is what I was refering to pilot tested.

Bruce you crack me up, the rest of your money you waisted huh? LOL You have some great hours of flight in some great planes!
  6. White Hawk

White Hawk New Member

Couple of pics of two whirlybirds I painted for FS9:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If they look familiar, it's because I used to post on the Simviation forum.

(Sorry about not posting them earlier. Between the trip to New York and the excitement of a new gun, I've been quite distracted.)
  7. Marlin T

That is funny all on its own! The strory is to long to tell, but funny.

Ohhh, good job on the paints by the way!
  8. White Hawk

White Hawk New Member

Maybe I should've typed "I was a regular poster on..."

Hey, it was late, I was exhausted.

I've got more screen caps -hundreds- and will post a few of my fancier ones here later.