1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

P O Ackley Rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by djohns, Jan 2, 2010.

1. djohns

djohns New Member

I have an FN 98 single shot mauser. It is the solid bottom single shot type. It has a canjar single set trigger. The caliber is 6 x 47 and stamped next to the caliber is P O Ackley. The rifle was built for early hunter style benchrest and has a narrow varmint style forearm. The bluing is still very nice. The bore is excellent. It has a light sporter or very light varmint contoured barre that is 26 inches long. Can you give me any idea what the value of this rifle might be.
  2. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

'Bout a hundred dollars. Give me your address and I'll send you a check.:D

I have no idea. You might try putting searches of internet gun auction sites and see if any similar guns turn up and what they sell for.
  3. djohns

djohns New Member

I have already done that. Can't find anything similar. I know the canjar trigger is worth a little and the benchrest solid bottom fn action especially with the 222 or 223 size bolt face is worth quite a bit. I don't know for sure if Mr Ackley did the stock or not. The rifle was built in the early 70's. What I'm not sure of is how much does P O Ackleys name being on the barrel add to the value. I'm fairly sure it is a P O Ackly barrel, or at least it was barreled by him.
  4. muddober

muddober Active Member

To my knowledge P.O. Ackley only barreled someone elses actions and did not do whole guns(wood). He was a machinist and a very good one. He knew a lot about interior ballistics through his own testing. Anything he did he did right and if I owned your gun a $1000.00 would not buy it from me and I have no use for it other than it would very cool to have it. Please do not use my $1,000.00 comment as to value because it could be worth several times that but I don't think so.

Ron
  5. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Sure would have liked to have gotten to know Ackley sounds like my kinda fella.
  6. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

djohns and Ron,

P.O. Ackley does mainly rebarreling of actions, but I wanted to add that his shop does do stock work as well. In many of the Gun Digest of the 60's and 70's have a section devoted to custom guns. I have ran across several "complete" builds of rifles pictured in these custom gun pictures.

Not long ago I ran into a post here on the internet that suggest he is still very much in business, although he has to be getting up there in years.....

Like Ron said $1000 would be a minimum with the solid floor FN action....got to be hard to come by....maybe $1,500 if it has some serious "eye appeal"...less sights of course.:cool:

Any chance you could post some pictures?:)

Regards, Kirk
  7. jondar

jondar New Member

In the FWIW Dept.: Parker O. Ackley departed this earth Aug 23, 1989 at age 86.
  8. djohns

djohns New Member

Thanks for all the info. Not sure if I know how to download any pictures to this forum. I have downloaded pictures on ********* and ebay but never on a forum. Is it difficult to do. I don't have time to do it today but will try to get some pictures in a few days.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  9. djohns

djohns New Member

I hope this works I tried to get two pictures of the rifl.

h[​IMG]
    ttp://www.thefirearmsforum.com/picture.php?albumid=218&pictureid=1155
  10. djohns

djohns New Member

This should be the other side
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  11. djohns

djohns New Member

12. djohns

djohns New Member

The barrel is only 24 inchs long not 26. The trigger guard is the one with a magazine or false magazine I think they had to have these to qualify in the hunter class back then. The receiver is a solid bottom so the magazine cannot be used. According to the guy I purchased it from, many years ago, the FN action was ordered this way. The action is old enough that it does not have a serial number.