P.W.A. AR quality?

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by Bindernut, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Anyone here familiar with Pacific West Arms (PWA)?

I've got a line on a rather well-used PWA Commando for around the $500 mark. It's been carried a lot but hasn't had many rounds put through it.
    Ser # is 50xxx so that should put it as post-ban...not that it makes a difference in my area anyway.

Is it worth picking up at that pricetag or would I be money ahead building with all new parts.
    Basically, I'm wanting another truck gun so the finish isn't that important as long as it hits what I aim it at. I'd probably use the carbine as-is for a while but I'll probably change out the upper for a 20" some day.
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

When ever I saw PWA or EAA it was allways my impression that these were parts guns.

I allways stayed away from them. I think they made some factory units complete for a while. They made lowers for a while and just sold them so people could put together parts to build a ar. Most of the time people used the cheapest parts they could find to put into these guns.

Me i would stay away from them and buy a complete factory rifle from someone like dpms or bushmaster. that is my 02
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I had a member out at my range Saturday afternoon and I believe one of the ARs he brought was a PWA. And I found it to be on par with the colts of the pre ban era. It was an A1 configuration, rifle length without the shell deflector, but did have the forward assist. And shot very close to MOA groups at 200 yds. After zeroing at 25 of course.
  4. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

No complaints over my PWA. The lower is stamped Commando and is in the 36,000 serial range. Upper's a DPMS A2, which lines up and locks up tight as a drum. I've owned this rifle for about seven years now, put quite a few rounds through it, and it's never missed a beat.
  5. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

PWA, was Pac West Arms, not Pacific West Arms.

Been out of business for a while.

They only sold complete lowers and stripped lowers, not complete guns. The lower receivers were made by LMT and were of good quality. In fact of far better quality than DPMS as someone above suggested as a better quality choice. :rolleyes:

The pre-ban cutoff serial number is 35222 for PWA.
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! Appreciate the info. Was hoping someone here had first-hand experience with them to know if it's a decent quality lower. Seems like it's a decent lower but I wasn't sure if there were any hidden pitfalls about them being one of the oddballs that didn't accept common parts.

Even given that's it's been knocked around for a few years it's a lot better than any DPMS I've checked out on the racks.

That's about the same info I found with some googling on a few of the AR-specific forums. Had a few conflicting posts about whether or not they did offer a few complete rifles or if they were just a parts house.

I knew it was an older carbine, and I do agree if it's an LMT-forged lower then it's a decent lower. I think it's gonna find a home in my locker for the price they're asking.
    Other than having a standard m4 fixed front sight, the upper is set up how I want it too...flat-top M4 config. Plus it's already got a decent looking snow-camo job on it. It'll be just another yote rifle to live in the tractor/truck so I don't beat the snot out of my .204.