p14 brit drill rifle

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by xm774u, Aug 8, 2010.

1. xm774u

xm774u Former Guest

so i have a p14 drill rifle with a hole drilled in the chamber and every thing else
    is un touched i have a worn out barrel that would shoot but its very loose
    a bullit would drop down it . would you guys re barrel it or leave it as a wall hanger i have looked for years for a barrel and im not spending buku buks
    for a er shaw barrel or can i drill and tap the hole thread it and put a threaded
    case hardened bolt in it grind to fit and mig weld the bolt on the outside of the barrel . would a chamber reamer cut the bolt in the chamber ? the barrel
    is tight im just wondering if i used threaded plugs would it work and would
    the chamber reamer clear all excess metal assuming i welded the plugs and nothing moved i know the liability issues im asking a gunsmith i have never worked with reamers and i am a compitent welder or am i dreaming
  2. xm774u

xm774u Former Guest

would a chamber reamer fix my problem?
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I have heard of that being done, but I strongly recommend against it. One probable result would be to ruin the chambering reamer. Another would be to leave a defect in the chamber that would keep the case from extracting properly.

And there is one more point to consider. It is likely that the rifle was "retired" for a worn out barrel, but there could have been other reasons and firing it could be problematical. I would leave it as is and use it as a decorator.

Jim
  4. xm774u

xm774u Former Guest

i agree but the barrel is like new ill wait a bit for more comments i will brob rebarrel it
    with the worn out one i was hoping though thanks for the opinion
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If the barrel is like new, there could be some other defect that might not be apparent, but could be dangerous. The trouble with the British DP designation it could mean about anything from just not standard .303 ammo to a worn out barrel to a cracked receiver. Sometimes a close examination will reveal the cause, at other times there just doesn't seem to be any.

Jim
  6. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Sounds like the rifle is beyond returning to serviceable condition. Usually, the "De-Mill" process involves boring a hole in both the chamber and the receiver. If that is the case (the receiver has a hole drilled into it in the chamber area) the rifle is done as a shooter. Even if you re-barrel it, the hole in the receiver makes that a very weak point in the area that gets the highest pressure.

As far as filling the hole in the barrel and reaming the chamber, Jim K is right on about you will likely end up ruining a chamber reamer for nothing. The chamber steel is softer than the reamer, and it's almost certain that the reamer will ream off-center when you begin milling on any sort of "plug".

If the hole is only in the barrel, you might get away with re-barreling it. One problem you might consider, if this was the case, is that the rifle's paper trail indicates to the BATF that this is a non-shooter. The Feds might have a problem with it. You want to stay legal, my friend.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  7. xm774u

xm774u Former Guest

i did a 4473 no the barrel not the reciever was drilled as for the reamer thanks
  8. xm774u

xm774u Former Guest

thanks for your time jim