The Firearms Forum banner

P22 extractor rework by 1917-1911M

Tags
12K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Brad Fisher 
#1 ·
Re: Did Some P22 Homework Finally!

If you knock the edge of the hammer off completley the gun feeds way better. The sporattic ejection pattern is from the position of the extrator relitive to the ejector. Many people have tried to control it but there is always still that one or two cases that bump off your forehead.
Nah, it's easy to control. Here is a some of the history if you are interested. I correspond with the chief engineer of Walther small arms on a few things when they don't get em right like the original extractor in the P22. :) M1911

Close-up photos of an original Walther extractor as compared to the new one. The difference is very obvious. I'm also throwing in a little history on the mods which led to Walther's redesign. M1911

The original Walther P22 extractor. Notice the square cut and the size of the gap as measured from the face of the breech block to the extractor face.

The "gap" that existed with the original extractor and the reason for poor ejection direction. I know the extractor spring is not installed in this photo but it makes no difference regarding the point that is illustrated.

The "new" extractor offered by Walther. The only redesign and the newest extractor offered by Walther for the P22. Notice the additional length of the tip and the undercut which allows the gap between the breech face and tip to be reduced. This concept came from some of the extractor mods I made to correct ejection direction. Walther cannot duplicate my efforts exactly as that would involve custom fitting for specific types of ammunition. They sell a pistol for world wide use but they have made a huge improvement with the new extractor.

Remember, the extractor "does not" extract a spent casing when firing. The blow back gasses do that job. The extractor is necessary for removing unfired rounds when unloading the firearm, etc. The extractor also should play a very important part in ejection direction. What happens is the spent case, flying rearward very fast due to burned powder pressure is blown from the chamber, hits the ejector on the left edge of the cartridge rim. This causes the case to bounce forward and to the right and in the process be ejected from the firearm. With a properly designed extractor the rim on the cartridges right side is held captive by the extractor causing the ejector to "pivot" the case over the extractor's tip. A large gap here keeps the extractor from being able to perform this critical role.

What my shooting has shown is the that the large gap of the original P22 extractor allowed the cartridge to float around and bounce off the ejector in any direction causing poor ejection authority and direction. If the extractor to breech face gap is reduced by peening the tip rearward, or making your own tighter tolerance extractor or installing the new Walther extractor with the reduced gap, then the extractor actually begins to play its part in causing the rim to catch on the tip and the case to "have" to pivot over the extractor tip when bouncing off the ejector. The result, consistent ejection direction and with more authority.

The new Walther extractor with a round sitting on the breech face. Notice the reduction in the "gap". Walther of course understood what I was doing here and finally got with the program. S&W was furnished the new style extractors and a number of folks requested and received them.

Above is a contraption I made where I filled the existing pivot hole in the extractor and drilled another more toward the front. This closed the gap, was ugly but worked great. Compare this prototype to the VQ model shown below. :D

Many years ago and in a distant galaxy I figured out what the problem was and posted this picture of how to peen the tip to reduce the gap thus cure ejection direction. Note: The red portion is the part of the original tip that has been peened rearward to reduce the gap. In the process it has also become very sharp. This is good. Notice also that the tip hasn't been peened, rounding it inward, but remains in a proper shape for grasping the rim of a round. NOTE: The peening mod was for the original extractor only. You cannot peen the new one. There is no supporting metal under the tip and it will break off. The new model was designed to reduce the gap.

How to peen threads were posted along with before and after photos.

A step by step thread was posted on how to file your own perfectly fitted extractor from the barrel wrench.

The fit was so good that a round would actually be held against the breech face. Ejection direction was perfect. Then: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 DogFish said, "heck there is nothing to this" and milled some absolute beauties, for free. I got two, pictured flanking an original above, and they are both in operation today. He left just enough material on the face for each owner to easily file for the right tolerance in their pistol. Oh man these were perfect. I couldn't have expected Walther to have done any better. And that is a short summary of the history of correcting ejection direction with properly fitted extractors. Walther can't install an extractor with the tight tolerances of the custom ones above because the P22 is sold world wide and must fit all ammo rim thickness. This should provide you with enough history to illustrate the problem, the solution. M1911

Pictured below is the new VQ extractor. Nick at VQ sent me one for sending them the idea. Works pretty good too.

Just doesn't quite close the gap though. If it did it would function like the 1Dogfish model and ejection would be even better.

See less See more
#2 ·

Just happened to have taken my breech block out of the slide today after about 15, 000 rounds. Someone wanted measurements of the firing pin. It needed a good cleaning anyway. Below is the cleaned up VQ extractor after about 15K rounds. Looks like it is holding up fine. M1911

Was pretty dirty.

Cleaned up nicely though.

#7 ·

You seem to know what you are doing. Why dose my Mossberg Chuckster dry fire when I work the bolt action?

Only dose this after sitting for a while and only the first time I engage the bolt. After that it works fine.

Thanks

Just happened to have taken my breech block out of the slide today after about 15, 000 rounds. Someone wanted measurements of the firing pin. It needed a good cleaning anyway. Below is the cleaned up VQ extractor after about 15K rounds. Looks like it is holding up fine. M1911

Was pretty dirty.

Cleaned up nicely though.

#6 ·
Good article and good result.

The correct fitting of a 22LR extractor is such that only the claw touches the case at the junction of the case body and the rim and NO WHERE ELSE. If it touches the edges of the rim it slides off because the rim is not parallel to the base of the cartridge. If it jams against the case body then the case easily falls off the extractor during the rearward travel to the slide. The extractors job is to hold the case to the bolt face so that the ejector can get a good hit on the case. The extractor acts as a hinge to guide the empty out of the gun in the same way with every shot.

It looks like the extractor of this article does the job!

LDBennett

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.