P38 ac42

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Low RIDER, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Low RIDER

Low RIDER New Member

I have a P38 AC 42 that my father in law took off a german soldier during
    the invasion of Normandy. The serial number is 6919h The gun is in good
    original condition with a full clip. I also have the leather holster with the
    name of the soldier ( Adolf Beck) The serial number is shown in two places on the left side of the gun along with marks that remind me of eagles on both sides of the gun.

I am not a gun expert. Can anyone give me information regarding this pistol and its value.

Low Rider
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Welcome to the forum, LowRider. I don't have the expertise to answer that question, but I'm sure one of our resident experts will be right along.

Pops
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Lowrider
    In exc. shape it is worth about $575
    In good shape worth about $325
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

What you have here is an original Walther P-38 ac42 code first variation. Of the two variations, the first variation only had 21,000 produced while the second variation had a run of 100,000 pistols. You also have a very low serial number meaning that it was early production for that code.

ac42 (1st variation)

Exc. = $900
    VG = $450
    Good = $400
    Fair = $350
    Poor = $275

There should be an eagle with the number 359 over it. The second variation did not have the number.
  5. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I thought you might be a little low SS...or a few years behind:cool:

SOG has wartime P-38s that are pretty run of the mill, I guess, in VG, for $599, sometimes on special for $549...and that's dealer price.
  6. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Just talked to my old friend Orv Reichert, world class P38 expert and author of the P38 section in "Standard Catalog of Military Firearms," and he gave me the latest values for this ac42. In perfect mint condition these are going for at least $1300 these days, probably more, as this figure was compiled nine months ago. If showing any wear the value drops rapidly to $600 or so.