P38 Value

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Bob S, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Bob S

Bob S New Member

I am getting on in years and figure it is time to sell one of my prized possessions, I have a pyf 44 P38 that was captured by my uncle from a German officer in Germany during WW 2. It has it's own hard shell holster with the extra clip on the front and comes with it's original US Military Certification giving him the gun and permission to bring it home.

The gun is in excellent condition with a good finish and original bluing with no wear spots, has black bakelite grips and the German proofmarks, The bore and rifling are perfect. I really doubt that it has been fired very often except for the 15 or 20 rounds I put through it years ago.

The holster is also excellent except for some wear discoloration on it's outer part. Stitching is all original and in excellent condition. It also has the proper markings.

I can post photos on my web site but the photos are somewhat blurry and aren't very good. (need a new camera)(If need be I will go get a better camera to post the photos)

I figure this combo of excellent condition, gun and holster, and US Military Certification puts this package on the high end of value. What do you think it might be worth?

Bob S
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I would agree, but with the proviso that byf (Mauser) 44 pistols are of lesser value than earlier ones or ones by Walther. I would guesstimate that that gun, as described, would bring about $700 retail, with the holster bringing about $65 more. That is about what you would expect to get on a direct sale; a dealer will offer less.

Jim
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Jim is right on.
  4. Danny

Danny Member

Not being impolite to the other gentlemen, but they are far off base on this rig. I just sold my byf43 rig for 1495 not many months ago. You shoould get at least that, if not more for yours.
    The market is slow right now, but will rebound soon I hope. If you cannot get the value mentioned I would keep it a little longer. It does not eat anything & paid for. However if you are needing the money & want to give it away, that is up to you. Hope this info helps ya some?
    Kind Regards
    Danny:)
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Sorry to say it, but Danny is dead wrong about the price.
  6. Bob S

Bob S New Member

Wellll....I am certainly in no hurry. I've had it for many years now and a few more are not a problem. If I should "pass on" it will go to one of my sons. I was curious about it's real value. I like Dan's advice (naturally) and because of it's like new condition with hard shell holster, extra clip, and it's "Official" certification I believe a collector would pay a fair price. We're not talking a run-of-the-mill gun here.

Maybe I'll offer it on E-Bay or some auctioneer who provides that service. I have no idea of how to go about offering it for sale and/or the legal requirements. Maybe some kind soul might advise me on that procedure.

Regardless, I thank you all for your replies and opinions.

Bob S
  7. rammed

rammed New Member

E-Bay is antigun try Gunbrokers.com