P38 Walther with nazi insignia found in wall of old house

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Monique, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Monique

Monique New Member

We bought this old house from a friend of ours well into his eighties. He told us to keep an eye out for his older brother's Walther, which he brought back from WW11 and was hidden somewhere, loaded. Well, today we found it in the walls and since we know almost nothing about hand guns we were hoping someone could enlighten us.

It has a bakalite grip and came with three green, black-tipped bullets in the metal magazine. The bullets are stamped with 42 0X0 ST 2, and the magazine is stamped with P38. The gun itself is stamped with the serial number 7334 c on three different parts.

One of the serial numbers reads 7334 *c, and between the 4 and the * is a symbol that looks like an AB or an A8 with some kind of insignia above it. This is just above the trigger.

The other serial number is stamped into the metal part of the gun above the trigger area - not the barrel - and on this part of the firearm the numbers P38, the letters cyq, and a partial letter 'M' are also stamped.

On the other side of this same part of the gun are stamped three symbols: the first is difficult to describe but seems to incorporate two circles or the numbers 98 or 88 under something else (SORRY!), the second appears to be an eagle above a swastika, and the last appears to be similar to the 'AB' symbol.

I guess we need a magnifying glass, but maybe this is making sense to someone!

We really appreciate your input, because we definitely don't know what we're dealing with!

Thanks!!!!
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

If you can post clear closeup pictures of both sides of the pistol we can certainly help you out.
  3. Juker

Juker New Member

Crikey, another classic TFF "found gun" story!

That's it. I'm gutting my house. Built in '44, there's gotta be hidden treasure here somewhere... :eek:
  4. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Pictures please! :)
  5. Monique

Monique New Member

Pix of the gun

Thanks for your offers of help! I hope these pictures are sufficient - I take advice really easily, and this is the first time I`ve shot a gun:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Attached Files:

6. Monique

Monique New Member

More pix

more pix!

Attached Files:

7. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

This is a Walther P38 either cyq or cvq, 9mm German pistol, probably made around 1941. Iā€™m not the expert on these, but I do no a little.

Some people believe that the cyq and cvq were two different models, and some think that the bottom part of the die used for stamping just wore off. Yours looks like a cyq. The three stamps on the slide are the proof stamps, the 88, eagle and 88. I believe the ā€œ*ā€ means that the frame was rejected by inspection, and then corrected.

Looks to be in good condition, I have seen these sell for around $800, but lets see what the real experts on this great forum say.

Why cant I find old pistols like these in the walls of my old house?
  8. RJay

RJay Active Member

The only damn thing I've ever found in any of my house was Termites:eek::eek:
  9. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

1943 production by Spreewerke in Berlin. Would bring $700-$800 in that condition.
  10. Monique

Monique New Member

Thanks! The man who hid it in our house was a Canadian infantryman in the war - there's a bunch of stuff on the property, like a cannon ball and a couple of metal helmets, but I'm sure glad we found this puppy before one of the kids did!!

Now I have to figure out what to do with it . . .
  11. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

I'm sure someone on this forum may be interested in purchasing it.
    I would but cant afford it right now.
    You luck dog!
  12. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

The more commoin P38s are a tough sell these days, and this one is a very common date and the least desirable of the three manufacturers . Given that, and taking the pitting into consideration, $600 would be an absolutely top price for this weapon.
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

In your second post you said "this is the first time I've shot a gun", which I take to mean that you are planning on shooting it (if you haven't yet).

Wonderful. There's no problem with that. I would too. But - don't shoot the ammo that you found with it. If for no other reason, it's bound to have corrosive primers, and there is no need in doing that to the gun. 9mm Parabellum 115 grain FMJ ammo is plentiful. Just about any gun store will carry it, and it is what that was designed to use.

So, if you're going to shoot it, buy new ammo.
  14. Ken W

Ken W New Member

What I'd like to know is how exactly did you find it in the wall? Did you actively go about the house tearing the walls apart looking for this or were you making some alteration and it just happened to be there?
    Maybe I should acquire a metal detector and sweep it across all the walls here. :D
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, Monique,

Can you tell us what state you are in, or if you are in Canada. There might be legal implications in Canada or in some states regarding a (presumably) unregistered handgun. (The fact that it was hidden in a wall somewhat leads to that thinking.)

The eagle marks on your gun are German army inspection marks; the three you mention are the inspection and acceptance mark for the slide, the inspection and acceptance mark for the gun, and the (with the swastika) proof mark to show the gun was fired with an over load and passed the test.

Jim
  16. SSMN

SSMN Member

Spreework P38s were not made in Berlin. They were made in Sudetenland.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  17. wsas7816

wsas7816 New Member

A friend has a Spreework P38 with a bad firing mechanism. It went off while he was walking with it and he now has a hole in his kitchen floor. We had run through the marks on his pistol because he thought there were some rare sub-models or marks. However, I don't remember the details but if you google Nazi Proof marks you might get some additional information.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  18. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

If u are going to shoot it please clean and oil first, were the helmets German?
  19. wsas7816

wsas7816 New Member

BTW: While I believe that Spreewerke is/was a Czech company, I believe the CYQ (aka CVQ) were made in Berlin by Spreewerke-Spandau.
  20. SSMN

SSMN Member

WSAS,
    You are wrong. There were NO Spreewerk P38s made in Berlin. They were made in Grottau. Now Czech Republic.