1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

P522 Swat Pistol - Into a Rifle?!

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by Jeepfire19, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Jeepfire19

Jeepfire19 New Member

All,
    If this post is somewhere and i am bringing it up again, please point me in the right direction - i could not find anything on it.

I traded my brother a old handgun i had for his P522 Swat Pistol .22 He just bought it about a month ago and only ran about 100 rounds thru it. (still has the tags/labels on it)

I have been doing a bunch of research on the steps for turning it into a rifle without having to get a stamp for a SBR. Does anyone know - Can i put a fake can on it to extend the barrel to 16inches? it is currently 10.5 inches as it sits. Than put a stock on it, red dot, forgrip, ect.... and not have to get a stamp.

The only thing that concerns me is that the upper has "for pistol use only" engraved on it. Whats the deal with that, does SIG Sauer not want people turning it into a rifle, or does it just say that because of the 10.5 inch barrel - and once i put on a fake can, it would take care of that?

I have called multiple gun stores / gun smiths and they all are confussed about the "for pistol use only" - But when i do a image search on the internet for a "P522 with fake can" i do see weapons pop up.

If i can put a fake can on there - does anyone have a good site for them? I found a few (the navy seals one with the holes in the can) and one on "cheaperthandirt.com" but nothing caught my eye. I would really love to fine a Desert Tan colored one - but i have been unable to find one yet.
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

You can not use the fake suppressor to make up the legal barrel length unless it is permanently (pinned/welded) affixed to the barrel. Epoxies, etc, do not qualify as 'permanently affixed.'

The reason the upper has that on it is purely for compliance purposes. Not all states allow Title II firearms.