1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

P99C , PPS or G27 in .40 cal.?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by blackcat_attilio, Jan 29, 2010.

1. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

Hi gentlemen! Having to purchase a pistol for selfdefense I propose you a question like "a nice comparison" to know what is "highly thought better" and why. Of course all the opinions are wellcome. My choise is among: Walther P99C , Walther PPS and Glock G27. ;)...nice fellows, isn't it? Many thanks in advance.
  2. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Depends what you're looking for. All three are good options. The P99 and G27 have greater capacity, but this comes at the price of being much bulkier (due to the double stack). On the other hand, the PPS is very easy to conceal, but has a limited capacity.

If you can comfortable conceal a double stack, I'd go with the P99 or G27. If you need something a little more concealable, go with the PPS.

I myself could technically conceal a full size handgun (I'm 6'6", 200 lbs.) but I'm just not comfortable doing it. I currently carry a Bersa Thunder .380, but plan on upgrading to a PPS for something that's just as concealable, but comes with a bit more authority. Haven't been able to decide between 9mm and .40 yet.
  3. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

Hi! Many thanks for your opinion. Sure, the more concealable is, better is. I'm 6 ft , 207 lbs; my trouble is especially dressing summer cloths. Capacity is not such a trouble; I think on a "close shooting" the first 3 shots in .40SW (at target) could be "enough" to take an advantage to move away.
  4. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I'm 5'4" and I carry a full size P99AS concealed in an IWB holster with no real problems. I just need to be careful when bending down.

The P99C is smaller than the standard P99, so it can be more easily concealed, but that comes at the cost of a reduced magazine capacity. The PPS is quite easy to conceal due to the fact that it's something like 1.02" wide and has a slightly smaller side profile than the PPK/S. I know with the first generation P99s, the .40s had a reliability problem because S&W was involved in the rechambering process.:rolleyes: But from what I understand, the new 2nd Generation .40 P99s are reliable. If you go with a PPS, make sure it's a new one, as a very few of the first production pistols had some problems with the slide locking open due to bad springs. The problem, though rare, has been corrected. If I could swing the money, I'd buy a new 9mm PPS in a heartbeat. But then, I'm a Walther fanboy:D:D
  5. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Also, if you were to go with a PPS, over on the PPS forum, a member named Dmars has posted a maintenance and break-in guide [​IMG] that is very useful.
  6. Freedom road

Freedom road New Member

I don't know if this thread is still alive or not, but here it goes.
    I own both of the walther's in question and have shot a few of the Glock many times though I do not own any of them. I am currently looking at either the Glock 23, the new XD-m 0.40 or the p99 in 0.40.
    The P99C with AS trigger is by far the best of any those mentioned, it is very smooth and consistent and I can shoot more accurately with this trigger than with a full sized gun in most cases unless they have a custom trigger. With that said I will never give up my p99c. The PPS however, is another bird. The trigger is similar to the glock with the safety in the middle of the trigger and being that the frame is so small and thin it is not something you would probably enjoy shooting very often even though it is very accurate. In 0.40 it kicks too much for the little frame, it may be much better behaved in 9mm.
    I also have an H&K P2000, I love the look and feel of this gun with a 12 round capacity. I have fired about 800 rounds and never an issue with anything, it will fire whatever you put through it and not complain. I recently had night sites put on and they are a little off, but from the factory they were dead on. At the range I took the target all the way down range and put a shot 1 out of 2 within half inch of bulls eye. I don't claim that I can do that very often, but the gun is that accurate. The Trigger on the H&K is double single just as the p99c, but it is not as smooth and consistant, but I will not part with this one either.
    Your best bet for concealment is the p99c it fits a ton better than the glock and the trigger is so much better you cannot even compare. It is so comfortable to shoot and doesn't bite your finger like the glock with trigger safety.
  7. godsgunsmith

godsgunsmith New Member

please tell me about the features of the P99
  8. EL TORO

EL TORO New Member

My first and only choice for a sub compact would be the CZ 2075 RAMI in 9mm. Comes with either a safety lever model(not a decocker) and a decock only model. It comes in an alloy framed model as well as a polymer framed model....GREAT GUN!
  9. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

10. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I'm going to put my vote with the P99C.