PA-63 Makarov 9x18 9mm

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Rhuga, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

This question has most likely been asked before. I have been searching YouTube that has some good video's of the pistol in action. But, they don't talk much about the round that should be used.

Can you fire effectively and efficiently a 9mm Luger round or must it be the 9x18 Makarov round?

Many Thanks,
  2. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

If it is chambered in 9X18 Mak...then that is what you MUST use. There were some that have been chambered in 9mm. They are not the same round.
  3. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

This is what I figgered. Just checking. Thanks for the post
  4. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

NO Problem.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have the FEG PA-63 and it is not a fun gun to shoot for me. It is small and light and even my small hands have a hard time holding it under recoil. It slips around in my hand allowing my less than muscular hand to get a solid bite by the hammer.

To fix it I put skateboard sanded tape on the back of the grip and that helps somewhat but I must grip it just so or I'll still get a hammer bite.

I bought this gun on a whim (mostly because it was a Walthers PPK clone). In retrospect (hind sight is 20/20!) I probably should not have bought it. For me it is not fun to shoot.

In contrast, I get a ton of enjoyment shooting my Colt 1903 in 32ACP (made in the first ten years of the 1900's). It was a bit expensive but I found one on a deal (re-blued) not realizing how great it would shoot. Now that small gun is one I really like! I also have a Browning Baby clone (Bauer, is it?) in 25ACP that is smaller yet that is kind of fun to shoot. And no hammer bite.

Hammer bite in general is not a problem with all the guns I have except for the PA-63 and a Browning High Power clone by Charles Daly with a Colt Commander style hammer. I finally had to machine off the back part of the hammer to get enough clearance for my hand to get rid of hammer bite.

LDBennett
  6. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I have a .32 Kel Tec and have looked at the Colt's but I can't find one for any less than $500+ and I just can't see spending that kind of $$ on a .32 that I will shoot.
  7. 83v45magna

83v45magna New Member

There is a you tube video of some guy who fires a 9 para from his PA-63 to illustrate that it can be done but it fires out of battery and has to be fed through the ejection port as 9x19 will not fit in the mag.

I wouldn't do it except in the extremely unlikely situation that I find myself with no 9x18, a 9x18 PA-63, a supply of 9x19, and an eminent, lethal threat that will wait while I reload one round at a time. So better than nothing I guess. File this under knowledge for a SHTF scenario. Good to know but best to not do it.
  8. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

My answer to your question is it's approximately 100 feet per second faster than a .380
    When I bought my Mak I had the choice and I went with the 9mm for that reason alone.