Pa Joe Gone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Insulation Tim, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It was just announced that legendary coach Joe Paterno has passed from lung cancer. A great human who unfortunately had his legacy tarnished by the Jerry Sandusky scandal.

RIP Coach Paterno.
  2. red14

red14 Well-Known Member

I am saddened. He was a good man, and great coach. I hope all those who assailed him are happy.
    I backed him then and still do.

Whatever happened to innocent until PROVEN guilty?
  3. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Or innocent when proven innocent? He was told the allegations and he immediately told administration. The guy who supposedly witnessed it also told the head of campus police, who reports to the administrators. The coaches told who they were supposed to tell. The school then did nothing. This is just a witch hunt trying to get the biggest name on the board. People hear a sad story and think "somebody has to pay, I don't care who just as long as someone does."

If you witnessed a crime and you told your next door neighbor about it, who was the sheriff of the county, wouldn't you think the case has been turned over to the police? Is it then your fault if he doesn't do anything about it?
  4. geds

geds New Member

Sorry - I had to clarify your quote to truly fit the circumstances...

RIP JoePa! :(
  5. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

I was directing my comments at the general publics outrage and demanding someone to burn at the stake. The bigger name the better, no matter what their involvement was. But, yes the school officials are looking to make someone other them pay.
  6. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

"Innocent until proven guilty" has nothing to do with public opinion, it only matters in a court of law where the state has to prove guilt instead of the defense having to prove innocence.

RIP Joe.
  7. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

RIP JoePa. Rest with "Our Father" until we meet again. One last "White Out" for Joe at Happy Valley 1/22/12.

Attached Files:

8. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Trial by media always produces a guilty verdict whether the victim of the press is guilty or not, and thre is little or no appeal.
  9. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I just came from a sports board a few of these jokers make him out as a criminal, geezzzzzzz.

I guarantee they never played football much less even with a good coach. Idiots.

46 years at PSU he was a class act, RIP JoPa.
  10. USNative

USNative New Member

That's too bad, RIP Joe!
  11. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

God Speed, Joe. I bet that he and Bear Bryant are discussing football and the 1979 Sugar Bowl.
  12. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

I was at that game in Superdome. Bad day for Happy Valley. 3 up da middle. Almost had me a red cowboy hat with a big white "A" on it that New Year's Eve in Pat O'Briens.
  13. geds

geds New Member

I want to admit that I was one of the millions that Joe Paterno deceived. I posted that we should wait until the investigation concluded before pronouncing guilt. Now that the investigation is done, I admit that I was wrong in my assessment of his character and that I am truly sorry for all the pain and suffering he allowed to happen in order to protect his ego and legacy.

I do think my approach was correct (to wait for the investigation to conclude first). And I am very pleased with the NCAA's punishment for PSU as announced today. It is very fitting to strip Paterno's wins as that is probably the single most important thing to him and perhaps the biggest deterrent to other coaches.
  14. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Sorry Geds. I completely disagree. They didn't take away his wins they took away the wins of all the kids that played for those years. All their wins, and stats just got tossed in the trash. Joe is dead, he doesn't care. The kids had nothing to do with anything. They are the ones being punished now.

If they want to just erase his name from the wins and give those wins to the waterboy fine. But why are they punishing the players?
  15. geds

geds New Member

I disagree. Those were HIS wins. He only stayed on to get the title of winningest coach. He stayed long after he was truly effective - just to beat Bobby Bowden.

The current players can move on to play elsewhere with no penalty, or they can stay and either play or not and PSU will have to continue their scholarships.

The previous players aren't really credited with a win or not anyway - other than conference championships. They know what they did on the field and so do the record books.

The school MUST change from the core out, because, as evidence showed, it was rotten to the core. There will always be the innocent sufferers from misdeeds at the top. Look at ENRON as a recent example. The players went there for an education and to play ball. They got both - the lesson on life the toughest....