paint thinner got into gas tank of mower

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dbcooper, Sep 23, 2013.

1. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

brand spanking new mower:mad::mad:

somehow, my lovely wife decided that the yellow can in the corner of the garage had gasoline in it and topped off the mower tank with mineral spirits today.

I walked out in the garage after I got home from work and she was mowing the front yard and I saw the yellow can had been moved to the middle of the garage...not a good sign
    I keep mineral spirits in that can.

The mower was running fine when I stopped her so I took a turkey baster and sucked everything out of the tank and topped off with gasoline.
    best guess is that is was about 60 percent full and she topped it off before mowing and ran it 15 minutes.
    It started right back up and sounds fine.

what do you all think? will it be ok?
  2. cat doctor

cat doctor New Member

I don't think it will be a problem. But I am a diesel mechanic, not small motors.
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

don't know anything about it but it sounds like u are lucky it is still running but of coarse it is your fault for not putting a label on yellow can:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:
  4. joetach

joetach New Member

I agree with cat-doctor, it should be fine. As long as there was no serious pre-ignition/detonation (which you most likely would have heard) all should be well.
  5. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

I think you'll be good, I don't think paint thinner deteriorates rubber to fast.
  6. dbcooper

it said DIESEL FUEL on the side of it. ;) anything else you want to add?:na-na:
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Heck, a mower will run almost anything. Mineral spirits is a solvent and the worst it would do is deteriorate the gaskets but even at that IMO it would take quite a bit to hurt it. It would clean it out but seeing how it is new now it is double clean.
  8. dbcooper

I was more worried about piston damage, but I think we dodged a bullet
  9. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

You'll be fine. The short time it was running and as diluted as it was, you'll be okay.
  10. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

No problem.
    Flush it well, and mow on.
  11. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

WHAT ARE YOU GUYS THINKING? DID YOU NOT READ HIS POST????? HIS WIFE IS MOWING HIS LAWN!!!!!! HOW DO YOU ALLOW/GET A WOMAN TO MOW YOUR LAWN.
    HOW DO YOU "GET" A WOMAN TO MOW THE LAWN???

AND SHE PUT GAS INTO THE MOWER!!!!
    I'VE NEVER MET A WOMAN WHO COULD PUT GAS IN ANYTHING!!!

THE LAWS OF PHYSICS HAS BEEN WARPED!

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.

Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?

Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.

Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...

Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!

Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Mayor: I get the point!

DO NOT ALLOW OTHERS TO READ THIS THREAD!
  12. 76Highboy

No way. Burning a hole through a piston is caused by high Hydrocarbons (raw gas) which is in a solvent. For example, air/fuel ratio should be 14.7:1 on a gas motor. If it becomes enriched, when it becomes more then 14.7:1, like 15:1 the raw unburned fuel will form on the middle of the piston just before the explosion occurs. When the explosion begins occurring on the center of the piston the piston becomes hot and begins dishing and eventually burns through.

It would take a heck of a lot for a piston in a lawn mower to burn through. The most that would happen is the carb would be affected but I highly doubt that. It would only hurt the gaskets and that is it. Remember when you used solvent to clean the oil off your hands? That is what it would do in the mower and it would be shinny new inside. In dbcooper's case, extra shinny and new. Heck, he'll have the shiniest mower in town.

One thing I highly recommend is this for your mower cooper. http://www.stihlusa.com/products/oils--lubricants-and-fuels/premixed-fuel/

The Stihl moto-mix will keep your gaskets in tip top shape (it actually conditions the gaskets) and it has a one year shelf life once it is open. It is rather spendy so run a bottle full in the spring and then run it in the winter. Winter is especially important because the mower will sit for a few months and the fuel will not go bad. In the spring time the carb won't be all gunked up and it will run like a top. Just in case the solvent might have hurt the carb, I would surely run some of this and you should be just fine.

They also have a fuel for 2 cycle engines as well. I run it in all my small engines.

Hey cooper, I will remember to stay a few extra isles down from you. :D
  13. dbcooper

Thanks Highboy.
    I've seen that Stihl gas at the dealer where I buy my chainsaws and weed eaters. I'll grab a can and use it to winterize my mowing equipment.
  14. 76Highboy

Your welcome. Now can you send your wife over to mow my lawn and you and I can go shooting? My wife can make us lunch when we come back. :D
  15. dbcooper

:lmao2::lmao2:

we have a small side mowing business, my son and wife both help mow the customers yards and we all pitch in.
    heck , my wife also stacks and hauls fire wood, schools the children, and makes awesome sweet tea:D