Painters may have gulf war syndrome, too?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mother Margaret, May 18, 2004.

1. Mother Margaret

Mother Margaret Former Guest

I would think that if painters who get too much exposure to paint fumes in their eyes ... would have similar symptoms as that of 'gulf war syndrome' symptoms

Here are some improved disclosures for Fuller O'Brien paint that didn't used to be there not that long ago.

Even so, they don't have a couple of things right:
    1-Don't have to worry about ingestion, that is a low exposure
    2-They don't say which ethylene glycol. *Is it ...BUTYL ETHER?

At least for some reason they want to avoid 'negligent failure to warn' which many companies are guilty of.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2004
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Ya know, most of these warnings are induced by lawsuits (some with merit) most without. Much like suing a car manufactor for wrongfull death. Car going at high rate of speed, driver drunk---ejected and not wearing seatbelt......air bag didn`t save him-either. Car makers fault, award 20 Million Dollars.

Dallas is suing Ford right now for rear impact explosions.
    Several officers have lost their lives to this.....notice I said several.
    While I do feel for the families of those, the fact remains. These cars were parked while the officer remained in the car (wrecks-tickets-ect) Most were hit in the rear at speeds greater than 70mph and the gas tank ruptured.......engine running along with the other cars impact......also running. Not one car made----even a nasty ole oversized SUV could survive this.......who`s fault???? Why Ford.......who else??????? 50 Million

Now not to just use this as an example, lets go to your crusade. Health. When I was a kid.....mecur-acomb (sp`ed for sure) was placed on EVERY scratch I ever got. Main ingredient.....MERCURY

Now there is a list a mile long, that was used on me as a kid, along with eating fish that were so infected I should glow and so should most of my family........we didn`t know about it---but when we did......we stopped fishing there........just one problem. We and others before us fished there to eat, not for sport.

While some of this is and does need to be addressed, most know all things call kill or impede ones self. Need I bring the tabacco lawsuits in view????? Biggest stealing by the US government by far exceding anything to bear.

Some people read the labels......do it anyway------then sue AND people have the gall to complain about the prices they pay. Did you know that depending on the model of any car (price) the price is inflated to cover this??? Some as much as 4800.00 for lawsuit protection, some even more. I`m for dirty air and water too.

LTS
  3. Mother Margaret

Mother Margaret Former Guest

Good comments

You make sense

I did check on paint companies and lawsuits when I saw warnings I had not found just a few months prior ... and low and behold, the paint companies have been sued multiple times in the past decade for the lead in paints that ended in 1978. No suits were successful, however. (Who knows about the current chemical, because if there has been some successful lawsuit, they seem to get the records sealed ...mums the word, you know; let everyone fend for themselves)

Well, I can hope that Fuller O'Brien saw the 'handwriting on the wall' to quote a Babylonian saying from the Bible ... that they had a conscience ... and decided to highlight the hazardous ingredient.

Now, if it turns out that butyl ether - is in gun cleaners and too much exposure can cause all the horrible effects of 'gulf war syndrome' ... not to say that there aren't lots of things that hurt people ... but this hurts them and their offspring SO BADLY that it's worth doing something about. I expect the medical evidence to be forthcoming. I just shared what I've learned with Walter Reid Medical Center, and got a reply back, "Thank you for this information"

Simple Green goes to the other extreme. They have at least 6% of butyl cellusolve (Dow Chemical trademark for 2-butoxyethanol) and they use some fancy talking to say it is lesser than that because of dilution ... well, 6% is 6% (& that's not safe for home use) Someday there will be more lawsuits against the chemical companies, and I hope they start with this product. The Simple Green you take off the grocery shelf is stated to be non toxic and biodegradable.

Give me a break! How is the public to be warned?
    Last edited: May 18, 2004