Painting a front sight

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by sabashimon, Mar 10, 2008.

1. sabashimon

sabashimon New Member

I've decided to "paint" the front sight of my 3" GP100.
    Any suggestions, (and/or warnings)?
  2. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Depends what you're painting it with and what your expectations are. Painting most likely will not offer as great an advantage as you'd hope.

Consider getting a fiber optic front sight if you want it to stand out.
  3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

If you are just going to paint it.
    LOTS of paint choices at Hobby Lobby.
    Model car/plane/etc. works fine.
    Cheaper than "sight" paint.

So, you might have to paint it again........
  4. sabashimon

sabashimon New Member

Anybody have experience with vinyl jig paint (from a fishing and bait shop)?
    I heard somebody mention it as a long wearing option.
    And thanks for the responses.
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I use model paint on my front sights. I find that paining it with a base coat of bright white, let dry and then add the dayglo color of your choice. Makes the dayglo that much brighter.

IPT
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Don't think you can go wrong with it as it most probably has an epoxy in it to make it last longer. See my reply above, Shimon.

IPT
  7. delta13soultaker

http://www.brightsights.com/products.shtml

The link above has some handy paint for what you may be doing. I've seen these kits and haven't heard anything negative about them. Could you assemble the same thing at a hobby shop for less $? Possibly so...the luminescent paint may be hard to find though.

Sights and parts I've painted were done with Sharpie oil based paint pens...the ones you shake up and the tip is pushed in to keep resh paint in the tip. They hold up to weather on an M16 for a couple months.

Another to consider may be the automobile touch-up paint...I'd assume it's as durable as most other paint.

The jig/bait paint I dunno...never used it on a firearm, but it would likely do.
  8. sabashimon

sabashimon New Member

Thank you gentlemen for your input. I just went out and picked up a Sharpie poster paint pen.....water based in fluorescent orange.
    I applied it, and I think this will work (looks good), though don't know for how long.
    I guess I can always re-apply it.
    As for Meprolights, I originally bought a set for the GP100, not realizing that it doesn't work for the 3" model, as the sights are different from the 4".
    No rear sight, just a groove (which I obviously knew), but I was hoping I could use the front sight. Oh well, live and learn.
    I'm thinking (hoping) this solution'll work.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Jig paint works great for sights. Either the vinyl or the epoxy stuff...I've used both in the past. The epoxy stuff worked the best for me. Dayglo pink is a great color for a small game gun front sight post/bead...gives me nice contrast to the terrain in summer and winter. But whatever color works best for you.
  10. delta13soultaker

Sounds cool. Hope it works out good.
  11. midnight_cougar

midnight_cougar New Member

I got a glow-in-the dark car pinstriping kit from walmart a few years back just to paint a few gun sites and 3 fishingpoles. Hit a light on them and they glow like crazy i put it on my 7.7jap which i only brought yote huntin once, and my freinds old marlin mag a few years back. Never had a single problem with it except if you hold the light on the back site very long it is to bright and you cannot see the front site. The fishing poles are my carp poles and are stiff but still flexible, but can still bring in a 30pound carp without ever cracking or chipping. I can hold a light on them for 5 minutes and they last for about 8 hours.

I think it says to apply 2 coats of white, then 2 coats of glowpaint, then 2 coats of clearcoat. They all came with a brush built into the small bottle, i'm not sure if they even carry them anymore. They also sell glow in the dark paint in most places ya buy paint from.