1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

painting a stock

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by squirrelnutzipper, Apr 3, 2008.

1. squirrelnutzipper

squirrelnutzipper New Member

I'm really liking my new Mossberg Plinkster. I know it's an elcheapo, low end rifle, but it's easy to use, lightweight, and a lot of fun. Just one thing; the bogus wood grain finish is chipping off the stock. It's some sort of plastic composite material. The rifle also came in a black finish, but only as a combo with a scope, and I didn't want the scope, so I got this one. I want to paint it a flat black finish. I'm wondering what is the right paint to use for something like this?
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  2. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

You could use most any product that's durrable and intended for exterior use, but the one product that I believe will give you the best adhesion, and resistance to cleaning solvents is Krylon.
  3. squirrelnutzipper

squirrelnutzipper New Member

I guess what I'm wondering is what sort of paint will stand up to not only being exposed to the elements, but being handled frequently.
  4. tonygrz

tonygrz New Member

I have a Rem 597 that is now Mazda Blue, a Sav 93 in .17HMR that is Cayanne Red, and a Sav Mk II that is Candy Apple Red. All were done with Dupli-color auto spray paint. First I cleaned them with paint thinner. Then sprayed three coats of same brand of grey primer sanding between coats with 000 steel wool. The I sprayed three coats of the paint again sanding between coats with 000 steel wool. The Mazda Blue and Cayanne Red did not need a clear coat but the Candy Apple Red did. I used two coats of the clear coat.

I was very pleased with the paints that DID NOT need the clear coats. They ended up looking a lot better than the the one that needed the clear coats. The color of paint dictated whether a clear coat needed to be used.

I recently purchased a 17M2 H&R single shot with the black plastic stock that is going to get a Hummer Yellow as soon as I can find of can of that color.

Like my "colorful" collection. I even painted the solid plastic plate between the recoil pad and the stock of my competition shotgun. That way I can find it in a rack very easily.

If you have any questions, let me know. There are a lot of people out there that will spend a lot of money on paint jobs but I'm doing it for myself, not for show. I plan to paint an upcoming gun with a blue stock, red forearm and then add a white star on either side of the stock (Texas).

tonygrz
    Tony Garza