painting a stock

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by squirrelnutzipper, Apr 3, 2008.

1. squirrelnutzipper

squirrelnutzipper New Member

I'm really liking my new Mossberg Plinkster. I know it's an elcheapo, low end rifle, but it's easy to use, lightweight, and a lot of fun. Just one thing; the bogus wood grain finish is chipping off the stock. It's some sort of plastic composite material. The rifle also came in a black finish, but only as a combo with a scope, and I didn't want the scope, so I got this one. I want to paint it a flat black finish. I'm wondering what is the right paint to use for something like this?
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  2. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

You could use most any product that's durrable and intended for exterior use, but the one product that I believe will give you the best adhesion, and resistance to cleaning solvents is Krylon.
  3. squirrelnutzipper

squirrelnutzipper New Member

I guess what I'm wondering is what sort of paint will stand up to not only being exposed to the elements, but being handled frequently.
  4. tonygrz

tonygrz New Member

I have a Rem 597 that is now Mazda Blue, a Sav 93 in .17HMR that is Cayanne Red, and a Sav Mk II that is Candy Apple Red. All were done with Dupli-color auto spray paint. First I cleaned them with paint thinner. Then sprayed three coats of same brand of grey primer sanding between coats with 000 steel wool. The I sprayed three coats of the paint again sanding between coats with 000 steel wool. The Mazda Blue and Cayanne Red did not need a clear coat but the Candy Apple Red did. I used two coats of the clear coat.

I was very pleased with the paints that DID NOT need the clear coats. They ended up looking a lot better than the the one that needed the clear coats. The color of paint dictated whether a clear coat needed to be used.

I recently purchased a 17M2 H&R single shot with the black plastic stock that is going to get a Hummer Yellow as soon as I can find of can of that color.

Like my "colorful" collection. I even painted the solid plastic plate between the recoil pad and the stock of my competition shotgun. That way I can find it in a rack very easily.

If you have any questions, let me know. There are a lot of people out there that will spend a lot of money on paint jobs but I'm doing it for myself, not for show. I plan to paint an upcoming gun with a blue stock, red forearm and then add a white star on either side of the stock (Texas).

tonygrz
    Tony Garza