painting ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hjsmith00843, Jul 4, 2012.

1. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

This is a new home and the walls are painted a dull tan color throughout the whole house. I want to change the colors on the home. 1 room at a time.

Will I need to prime over the walls in order to paint them. Remember the home is only 2 months old.

Also what is a good color to match with a dark redish color in the kitchen. The furniture are tan carpet is light brown. (until we do hardwood) there is a faux wood fireplace mantle that is wood grain. something to go well with that.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I think youd want a stone color. Dull tan is a stone color but if its not jiving for you try a stone grey hue. My living room is slate color with a bricked fireplace and wooden mantle. It works very well.
  3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Can't help with the color choices but a lot of paints come with a primer already in them.
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

You should not have to prime if you use the "best" paint you can afford. Don't buy the bargain priced stuff. Sherwin Williams is a great choice. Sherwin Williams makes some of Sears paint and you can get a similar product for less from Sears. But both labels have good, better and best choices and you do get what you pay for. Think about "egg shell" finish as compared to "flat". It is still dull enough for most wall use but is much easier to wash if that becomes necessary.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I personally like Baer paints and Valspar paints. and Both have paint with the primer in them already. Todd is right if you are painting over a similar hue. but if you are doing an entire color change its best to prime over then paint.
  6. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

The company I work for does a ton of painting both New construction and old.

You do not have to prime over Old paint unless the old paint is a Gloss Oil. Modern Latex paints will not stick to gloss oil.
    Primer/paint combos offered by Home Depot and the like are great for covering up existing latex paint, but they are not a substitute for priming in new construction. New drywall/plaster requires a first coat or two of real old fashioned primer.

I have used em all from Menards to Home Depot to Sherwin Williams and I can tell that not all paints are created equal. In fact they are not even close.

We used to use Sherwin Williams as are our main supplier, not any more. It has fast become a paint that we avoid like the plague. It does not cover and it just basically sucks to apply.

Benjamin Moore is excellent paint, covers well, goes on smooth and is very flexible. We use it a lot, but the BM store is kinda out of the way for many jobs and often times it is not feasible to go the extra miles to purchase it.

Menards (all of it) is junk. Nuff said.

Home Depot Behr is really good paint for a Big Box Store. Their Ultra Primer/Paint in one is excellent. Covers very well and goes on smooth. We use a ton of it. On the other hand their "Ceiling White" is junk. It covers for **** and is brittle. It cracks in the corners, the paint on the sides of a 5 gal bucket flakes off into tiny little pieces and we have to strain it often. We no longer use Behr Ceiling White.

Diamond Vogel is also an excellent paint. Goes on smooth, covers very well and is very flexible. It's what I use in my own home.

As for colors, you have to ask the lady of the house.
  7. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

the fireplace I have an idea. I want to remove the faux wood grain mantle and maybe use some of that thin stone and then have someone install a nice looking mantle on top. This is a new modular home so I am sure the frame will be strong enough for it. We paid extra for the upgraded walls. I will post some pictures of the setup and maybe you guys can give me some ideas for color's and what I can do to the fireplace.

I will eventually replace the fireplace mantle but that will be a future for the distant future.
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

There is only one color in my house. What ever my wife likes.
  9. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Cannot help in color choice but use a good paint with the primer included. We have used it on stained walls in a friends house and one coat did it. Other than that you can use a primer like KILZ but open the windows if you do not want to get high!!!

I am painting outside now. Painting windows before we install vylnil siding on the house.
  10. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

Here is a picture of the fireplace area. the color on the wall in throughout the house and we don't like it. It is cluttered there because this when we first started moving in. Just placed things on shelves to get them out of the boxes. I would also like to mount the tv over the mantle but there are no receptacles in that area.
    How had would it be to put one there? Tap into the one about 3 feet away?

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  11. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

I agree whole heartedly.
  12. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hey I like the color that's on the walls now. Every one has their own taste with color. My wife's brother used to work for a painting company. They used almost all Sherman Williams products. This was several years ago so not sure now as per what steve4102 said in his post.

On of my customers is a testing center for paint. They do all kinds of research on this industry. I ask them what is the best paint and they told me Valspar paints are the best.
  13. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Go in the attic and pull a hot wire from another receptical or another place and do a lot of measurements and drill the 2 by and cut a new hole for a sheet rock box and drop another outlet then in the same hole drop another co-ax for the cable or what ever. I have done this in all my bed rooms and in the living room for the Murphy bed. It's not really that hard to do once you do one, you will be on you way. If you need further instructions just email or pm me.Or call me and I can tell you step by step how to do it. 228 255 0822
  14. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

I dont have a atttic. But I do have a outlet right beside it and I am sure there is a power wire I can tap from power source for the fireplace motor.
  15. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Basically painting sucks! When I paint I use good paint then it doesnt wipe off when spot cleaning a wall. Sherwin Williams 200 paint is one of the best I have used. It comes from the can very thick and lasts for years. It is in the 50 to 60 dollar a gallon price range though. Valspar and Behr paints are there for people that think paint is paint. When people skimp on the price of their paint they are the ones that paint constantly. Paints with primer added into them arent the best way to go. Always prime then paint. The primer will seal the existing surface and prep it for the fresh paint.