Pair of Single Six "Flatgates"

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by MisterV, Dec 10, 2010.

1. MisterV

MisterV New Member

Inherited a pair of Ruger Single Sixes. Both are original. Excellent condition. %90-%95?? Very little bluing. Top one is a 56-57, #356,xxx. Bottom is a 55-56, #179,xxx. Both have walnut grips. Have sales slip for the #179,000.

Unknown value.

Attached Files:

2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

id' guess an early pair like that... dang man... i bet it would fetch 1500 + in auction.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

those are very nice.
  4. Goody

Goody Member

I waited till I got to work to reply since my monitor is better here. I have to be honest, I am not seeing Flat Gate guns here. What I see appear to be regular loading gates.

They are very clean pistols, with boxes, that I would think should fetch 5-600 each. If I am seeing it wrong and they are indeed flat gate, add about 150 per gun.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The glare is too much for me to see what type gate, but I've never heard of flatgates with wood grips. They had checkered plastic.

edit: I just did some quick research. They changed from flatgate to roundgate in early '57, and while checkered plastic was standard, varnished wood grips were an option.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  6. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Those are not the early flat-gate guns.
  7. MisterV

MisterV New Member

I do recall father saying he changed the grips.
  8. MisterV

MisterV New Member

Father said he did change the grips. The cylinders look to be identical. Both have have a recessed edge to clear a rimfire .22
  9. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

He must have changed the loading gates also, as they obviously do not have the flat gates that first production had.

According to Rugers chart, 179,000 was shipped 1961-62 and there is no 356,000 series: http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory/RE-SSixSM.html
  10. Goody

Goody Member

I think maybe you don't understand the term "Flat Gate". This refers to the door that you open to load cartridges into the chamber. Here is a picture.

http://www.gunblast.com/images/hamm_single-six/No239_No666_woF.jpg

But as I said, you have two very clean examples of an Old Model Songle Six, with boxes. These should bring a minimum of $400, and up to $600 each to the right person. There is, as I stated, a premium for the "Flat Gate", simply because they were only made the first couple of years.
  11. Danjet500

Danjet500 Member

Serial number 179xxx was produced in 1961 and would have a round loading gate as shown. Serial number 356xxx was produced in 1963 and also would have a round loading gate. By 1961 most guns were shipped with walnut panels but they could have come with rubber grips. The medallions appear correct. Boxes add to the package. Value is $400-500.
  12. MisterV

MisterV New Member

I misread the serial numbers, my bad. I knew something was up when the manuals had revision date 8/1/59

Guess I got over excited. Oops :p
  13. MisterV

MisterV New Member

I realize that now. I do recall seeing a "Flat Gate" in film. These are indeed NOT them.