Palmetto Model 1

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Hunterman, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Hunterman

Hunterman New Member

I am looking for information on a 12 gauge Palmetto, Model 1. It is not in very good condition and this is all the information I could obtain from the information on the barrel. Would like to know when is was made and/or if it is still being produced. Thanks for any help!
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The only Palmetto Shotgun I know of is a trade name owned and used by the Tyron Hardware Co. of Phil. Pa. It was made by one of 4 different makers Crescent Arms co. Hopkins and Allen , W H Davenport or Stevens Arms Co , 1900 to 1925. Like many of the Hardware chains of that era they bought from the lowest bidder and had their " Trade Name " roll marked on them. Value was low even in thsoe days, Only Stevens is still in bussines but if you are looking for parts they will have no parts for a 85 year old gun. Your only hope is the used parts dealers such as Numrich or Jack First or find a like item parts gun.
  3. Hunterman

Hunterman New Member

Thanks, Rjay. I had never seen a gun of this type and was curious about who made it, its worth, etc. Again thanks for your information.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The gun has little value except possibly as a decorator. Those guns were common in the 1890-1920 era, and yours was probably made at that time. It is probably not safe to shoot even if the barrel is solid steel and not Damascus because it is probably chambered for 2 1/2" or 2 9/16" shells rather than the modern 2 3/4" inch.

If it is an heirloom, give it an honorable retirement over the fireplace.

Jim