Paper Weight?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Sam Preach, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Sam Preach

Sam Preach New Member

I'm helping a friend identify this gun.
    Ayn help would be appreciated.
    Sam aP5080001.jpg

aP5080002.jpg

aP5080004.jpg
  2. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF Sam Preach
    Interesting I never saw anything like it. I can't help you but I am sure someone here will be along to answer you.
    Mike
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Interesting curio. The "stove bolt" barrel swivel and rivet for trigger (?) suggest a homemade fantasy, and no evidence of rifling in muzzle view. Apparently missing the barrel latch, and judging from length of trigger travel probably operated double action.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

narr i've seen these, when i was talking to the designer of the downsizer he gave me a reference , as it inspired his design

back when i figure out what

i'm sure its the model before the sportsman by Rex Merrill but cant think of the model name , pocket? book time

hrf the rivet is for the disconnector its fitted to the trigger which is mounted in , when the bakerlite or wood ( i forget ) grips where fitted they covered the rear of the trigger and workings

if i'm right of course ;)
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

which i am now wondering ...
  6. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

My guess would be some sort of cap pistol. The big wedge-shaped thing inside the grip might be for indexing the paper roll, and the round metal post would be the mounting point for a coil spring to power the trigger or the "hammer". Just my $.02.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I don't think it is a toy or a cap pistol. It has the look of a prototype or model to test some idea. It looks like a single shot, striker-fired, with the long trigger pull acting on that bar to cock the striker, then the bar contacting the stud to cam it down and release the striker.

On proof of concept models, a complete working gun is not necessary, only the parts needed to show that some idea works.

Jim
  8. Sam Preach

Sam Preach New Member

That wedge shaped thing inside the grip travels about 3/8"
    I honestly don't believe its a cap pistol. The old ones while pretty well made, weren't of this quality. This was not drop forger, but machined.
    Thanks for your participation thus far.
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Sir i think it may be a early merril but i cant find a picture to confirm it and i cant think of the place that i did see one ..
  10. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

The only other thing it reminds me of is a Mossberg Brownie - which it definitely is not. Anybody know of a single shot Brownie knockoff?
  11. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

I recently saw one of those storage shed hunter/buyer shows and they found something like this. An expert identified it as a cheap single-shot that was smuggled into France in large numbers during WWII so that people could come up behind a German soldier, put one in his head and take his weapon when the invasion started. Could this be something like that?
  12. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

You are thinking of the "Liberator"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FP-45_Liberator
  13. Sam Preach

Sam Preach New Member

The "liberator" was made of tin,
    This has a hex barrel.'I'm thinking a whole different ballgame.
    Not that this is probably worth anything in its present condition.
  14. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Your barrel is octagon, not hexagon :)

Nice conversation piece at least.
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Except that the "Liberator" pistols were never actually used that way, or much of any other way, though that was the intent. With a few exceptions in China and the Philippines, where they were given to local police until something better could be obtained, most of those little pistols were dumped in the ocean. The few remaining are collector's items today. That gun looks nothing like a Liberator and I am certain bears no relation to those guns.

Jim