pappa's old gun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by cclyburn, Nov 9, 2009.

1. cclyburn

cclyburn New Member

Hi again- Found this old rifle in father in laws collection and trying to get info. No name visable but could find markings. (I include hand drawn pictures best of my abillities, could not get my cheap camera to take good close ups) In picture #1 is easy to see, #2 appears to be a "D" with the #8-B-6 not sure #1&2 located on top of barrel by firing mechanism. #3 located just above pan looks like a key or bolt with a circle and star or asterick. #4 is located on rear of trigger guard. If these are of no help I can get better quality photos and repost later. The barrel is about 32.25in, overall lenght is about 47.5in and the bore is about 11/16in. Help with manufacture name, production date, are these rates by caliber or not and any ideas on value?. Any info would be great will continue to post more picture of my "finds" as my father inlaws estate is gone through.

Attached Files:

2. cclyburn

cclyburn New Member

sorry missed one picture!

Attached Files:

3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

The ELG in oval is the Liege, Belgium pre-1893 proofmark. I think they made flintlock "trade" muskets in Belgium for export to underprivileged countries clear up to turn of century. The 1911 ALFA catalog of German exporter Adolph Frank has two pages of "Flintlock Rifles, Africa Model" but all shown have full length stocks.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009