The Firearms Forum banner

Para Hi-Cap .45acp

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  todd51 
#1 ·
A good friend had this dropped off at my house today. He said he is getting a lot of stove pipes. He said look at it and if I don't see what is wrong take it to the gunsmith. I am under the impression that the pistol is new to him. That is all the info I have, huh. I tore it down and it was dirty and dry. I cleaned it and lubed it with Silver Bullet Gun Oil, a tad on the heavy side, and will give it a try with some factory 230gr. ball later this week. I see nothing wrong and it shows very little wear indicating to me it hasn't been shot very much. It is listed as a 10 round but it has two of those extended mags that must hold close to 15 rounds. The mags don't show much wear either. They sure are a handful even in my large hands. Have any of you any experience with these Paras. Do they normally need a break in period? No other mags for me to try and I don't know what he was using for ammo but knowing him I doubt it was reloads. He shoots enough powerful handguns that I doubt he was limp wristing or any thing like that. Will see what a box of good stuff does.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I put a box of Federal 230 grain full metal jacket through that Para today. I had about six of these failures out of the 50 rounds. Every one was the same way with a live round sticking straight up. It occurred with both magazines and never the same bullet order in the stack. It was usually mid way through a mag load and once it was the last round in the mag. I did learn today that this pistol only had four mags through it before and it had this problem with each of those four mags full, so it is practically a new gun. Those mags are not the standard mag for the Wart Hawg which comes standard with a ten round mag. These mags are Para mags I think but are intended for a full size pistol because they will hold 15 rounds. I am suspecting the problem may lie with these mags but I don't know. These are the only mags that came with the gun. I have never experienced a problem like this before. If no one knows of an easy fix I will be dropping the gun off at the smith but I bet the first thing he will say is get a new standard mag and try that. I know if it was my gun that is what I would do. Otherwise the gun functioned well and I was able to ring the ten inch plate at 25 yards. The gun was purchased second hand by my friend from an old timer that is selling his collection. What do you all think?

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
I would say it is most likely the mag. My guess would be the feed lips are not at the correct angle and/or the spring tension is a little off. IF it is letting the round slide forward early or too large of a gap between the lips, when it gets pushed forward it would pop up like that. You might could duplicate it by racking the slide quickly a few times. If it doesnt do it, you might still be able to see if the rounds were sliding forward.

At any rate, new mags are often the fix and one of the cheapest at that.

#4 ·
Thank you Country for the reply. I am getting too freaking weak in my hands any more to rack the slide fast enough to duplicate the situation.

For some reason some of my friends think I know about this stuff and I surely don't. I just shoot'm and can't fix'm :(

#5 ·
Well, as long as you can still shoot shoot them!

I know just enough to be dangerous, but with most of the guys on here I can figure it out a little at a time. I wish I could remember all the stuff that these guys know. I wish I knew all the stuff I have forgotten from on here..... I'd be a smart man then. As is, I'll have to hang around to keep asking questions. I didnt tell you anything you didnt know, but I think you are on the right track so maybe you know more than you think.

#6 ·
Todd, these little pistols are hard on recoil springs and need to be changed pretty regular as they take a battering. It will be difficult to determine how many rounds downrange since he isn't the original owner. You may want to replace the recoil spring. Also, you may want to wipe off some of the oil first. Too much can make the slide slow down and cause problems like the one you are having.

Not ruling out the mags just yet but the Para mags are not the best.

#8 ·
Good information to know...my dad got one of these a few months ago. If he starts having that issue I know what to tell him.

#9 ·
Thanks again fellows. Yea it was a little juicy today I admit. When I first tore it down it was dry as a bone so thinking that may have been the problem I did go a little overboard with the SBGO, a lot more than normal. Didn't help so will not go that route again, ha. Ok, I will pass on to him what info I have picked up here and suggest maybe he spring for some new recoil springs (It has a double recoil spring like, do I dare say, a Glock), and also invest in a new standard mag before he gives it over to smith.

#10 ·
I hate to be rain on anyone's parade, but in my experience, Para is garbage compared to other 1911's. that being said...

the biggest/most common issue is the magazines and sounds like you've already leaned in that direction. For a new gun, I can just about guarantee that the magazine is likely a contributing factor if not the single problem.

I only have one so I can't judge too much personally but para just ain't the same cut as the rest. like said, that's a biased opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

the one I have is a limited run/special unit edition gun and it sucks functionally. looks great but functions terrible. from what I gather, para mags vary considerable and are the leading cause of issues and problems. try different mags and you might have a great workhorse, who knows. Maybe I should take a dose of my own medicine and send mine in...

like I say, my disclaimer is that your results may vary but they look similar to mine and many other friends that own the same exact run of para guns as I have. I bet with some TLC and some mods that they can be great performers, I would be the squeaky wheel to Para and send it back to see if they won't troubleshoot for you, might not cost anything and may save you heartache. I've just been lazy as I lean heavily on my SA TRP. I had to send it back also as it was jamming every mag but got it fixed/figured out at SA's expense.

#12 ·
Its kinda funny how many people think that because you shoot guns alot that you must be a gunsmith! I know the feeling Todd. I have people bring guns to the shop all the time for repair and I tell them I am not a gunsmith and they look at me like I have 3 eyes. Your a gun shop! I say, yea, and there is 6 other gun shops in town and none of them are gunsmiths either.....that being said, almost all of my feed issues I have ever had with 1911s have been magazine related or feed ramp related. Every now and then there is a timing issue. Good luck.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the help folks. I went to the Para web site and guess what? They are redesigning their magazines, ha. I am going to suggest that the owner of the gun contact Para explain his problem and possibly order their new redesigned mags. I know there is a temptation to "tweak" the lips on the mag but it is not my gun and as said I don't fix'm. If the owner wants to start bending mag lips that is up to him. Thanks again to all, this forum rocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.