The Firearms Forum banner

Para-Ordnance Slide Lock Problem

4K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  antiquedr 
#1 ·
ElmersFudd
(12/29/01 5:35:58 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Grrrrrr, what's wrong with my Para
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New 14-45 LDA Ltd stainless. Emptied 5-6 mags, some full, some not full. Not once did the slide remain open after the last round. Outside temp near 20f.

Seller says to check mag spring and stretch it if it appears too short, it didn't, so I didn't.

Close examination of the mag barrel looks like the follower is tight before it gets as high as it should be. Also with an empty mag, when I cycle the slide, the slide catch only goes about 1/2 way into the notch, as if whatever moves it, doesn't move it far enough.

any suggestions on this waskle ? I don't want pliers tracks on it.....is there another way ??

AntiqueDr
Senior Chief Moderator Staff
(12/29/01 6:31:00 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: Grrrrrr, what's wrong with my Para
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disassemble the magazine and lightly stone/file the sides of the mag follower.
We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
www.apaxenterprises.com

Flhunter
V.I.P. Forum Host
(12/29/01 7:54:52 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Grrrrrr, what's wrong with my Para
I had the same problem with my para p12 limited. At first I thought it was the ammo(wolf) which it did not like. I switched ammo and that did help alot but the problem with the slide not staying back on the last round would still pop up every once and awhile. I did what AntiqueDr suggested above and so far(3 boxes later) no more problems.

ElmersFudd
V.I.P. Member
(1/23/02 7:16:31 pm)
Doc,
I stoned the follower and it seemed to work better, however, I didn't get to shoot it, it was just too cold out.

I did notice that the slide lock would only go about 1/2 way, or less, into the notch when I run the slide by hand and it locked. Is that normal ? Or should it go nearly all the way ?

The gun is 1,000 miles away from me and I won't get to shoot it again until Feb. so until then.......

However, if you need some hope, I leave you with this final statement to the government lawyer, made by Judge DeMoss. "You shouldn't let it bother your sleep that Judge Garwood (the senior judge) and I, between us, own enough guns to start a revolution in most South American countries." U.S. v Timothy Joe Emerson

LIKTOSHOOT
(1/23/02 7:22:10 pm)
I wondered why the FBI canned all they`re Para`s and went back to the old workhorse.

AntiqueDr
(1/23/02 8:06:58 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: Grrrrrr, what's wrong with my Para
Damned Canadians. Anyway, most Para's require a small bit of tweaking, but after that they run pretty well. I would suspect the mag follower still, plus perhaps a little attention to the slide stop. A little more oomph in the mag spring wont hurt, either.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
www.apaxenterprises.com

Cabinetman
(2/2/02 10:23:55 pm)
I had this problem along with a few other minor ones. My P13-45 would jamb pretty regularly, even with swc. After trying all the "home fixes" I ended up sending it to Enterprise Arms in California. They discovered a minor timing problem, repaired that, and returned it to me in perfect order. Now it shoots as good as and .45 can shoot. Just a suggestion. Check them out on the web. Their service is excellent and prices are very very reasonable.

Rome

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.