Pardini SP v Walther SSP

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by RobWW, Jul 25, 2009.

1. RobWW

RobWW New Member

I had my mind set on purchasing a Pardini SP New this September. I am new to competition shooting and have had the opportunity to try several pistols. Last week a member let me try his Walther GSP and it was the nicest fit for me so far. I liked the feel and got 8 out of 10 in the black first try with 3 in the '10'.

This has made me give the Walther SSP serious consideration. I drive a German car and have always been partial to German engineering. The SSP will cost me about $1000 more than the SP New but I am wondering if there is $1000 worth of gun more than with the Pardini.

Are there any SSP owners here that could give me some feedback? Thanks.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I cannot answer as to which is better but I can tell you that the Benelli MP90S is the most Olympic style gun for the money. Is it as good as the Pardini SP or the Walther SSP? I don't know but if you have access to either of these I'll bet someone in your circle of shooting friends has a Benelli. This better Benelli has a totally adjustable trigger that is excellent, is made very nicely, and shoots great (of course). You can even get a 32ACP conversion for it. The lesser Benelli MP95E does not have the nice adjustable trigger of the MP90S. The trigger alone is worth the price differential to me!

The source here in America (distributor and dealer) is Larry's Guns:

http://www.larrysguns.com/Products/Benelli-MP-90S-World-Cup__Benelli-spc-MP-90S-22.aspx

LDBennett
  3. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

It is unclear what 22 RF pistol target game(s), disipline(s), you intend to shoot.

Regardless, I opine that success is something like 95% shooter skill and 5% pistol and ammo. One can not get Master level scores by buying more sophisticated equipment and expensive ammo.

If you are shooting US Bullseye, I would wait until I was consistently shooting scores of something like at 830/900 outdoors (555/600 indoors) with a Ruger, Buckmark, or S&W 41 before I committed big bucks to a foreign made Olympic style auto-loader. By that time you will have enough skill and experience to discover and appreciate which high end pistol suits you best.
  4. RobWW

RobWW New Member

Thank you for your advise; I have received a lot of it lately. Many people have told me to shoot as many pistols as possible to find the one the feels most comfortable with me. Several others have suggested that working your way up to a top of the line pistol in the end is very costly. I was told if I could afford it, go out and start with a good pistol and that is the direction I went. Thanks once again.
  5. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

A famous Russian Gold Medal Olympian rifleman advised: "Get the best, and stop looking to your equipment for any short-comings".

However, it can be embarrassing to be less than an Expert on the line at a club league match with a $3000 pistol while a Junior, or little old lady uses a beat up $200 Ruger MK II 22/45 to shoot a High Master (97%) overall score. I have seen it happen. More expensive equipment does not insure better scores! "Its ninety-five percent skill; five percent gun and ammo". Also a pistol feeling comfortable in the inexperienced hand has little to do with how well you will score with it. Sometimes less than comfortable is better. Especially, if your scores are consistently higher.

I am well past my prime as a shooter, with bad eyes, bad right arm, and sixty-something age. Also, I really do not enjoy going to matches, shoot only once or twice per week and have a hard time breaking 94 at 50 yards. {If I could stay above 95, I might enjoy matches.}

I probably own at least a dozen assorted decent 22 Target Pistols, including three Hammerlis. At 50 yards I do not shoot any better with with the Hammerli fitted with a 1" UltraDot, than a nearly stock Ruger MK II 22/45 (with no optical sight) that I use to train new shooters. The UltraDot starts improving scores in timed and especially rapid fire. A 70 year old fellow club member (who once shot 2641/2700 in registered competition, and holds a number of national records) just put his Hammerli away for his 40 year old beat up High Standard with a 4" barrel. He shot a third generation Woodsman in his prime days.

I would give this specific advice. Look for a newer used Ruger MK II (steel handle) 5" Bull barrel target pistol that has been set up for Bullseye match shooting ( with a 1" UltraDot); and has not been used extensively (shot out) in competition. Hopefully you could have a Master test it before you buy; or have an agreement that it can be returned if does not shoot to expectations. What I describe will likely be around $300 - $400; and will be good enough to win at Camp Perry.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Hammerslagger gives good advice for competition. I have a different focus on my 22 target pistol shooting. For me it is about the equipment!

To me guns are tools (Mechanical systems designed to propel small lead object to a target of choice). Some are really good tools and others are utilitarian hammer like tools. I have representative guns from several manufacturers that make target pistol. Each has a personality. I never shoot the same gun in consecutive trips to the range and am lucky to get there once a week and not just for 22 pistol shooting. I have one Olympic style 22 target pistol and it is a jewell of a tool: fun to shoot, operates superbly, shoots a lot more accurately than I can. I have the class favorite S&W Model 41 and all the other lesser guns down to the Ruger MK II 6 7/8 inch Government Model along with several Vintage target pistols as well (like a Colt Match Target). Each has a unique personality and if that personality is too finicky the gun is gone.

It, to me, is about the fun of ownership and just using the various guns. I was never a great marksman and never will be at the age I started shooting regularly, nor ever will be at my age now. I never competed nor wanted to. I never wanted to impress my friends with my gun choices. I just want to maximize my fun factor with various shooting tools. And part of that is owning and shooting a entry level Olympic style 22 target pistol. It works for me.

LDBennett