Parents: Teacher silenced son on hunting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tracker, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I can't help but agree with Marlin T !!!!!! :) [Very Succinct and to the point !!!]

My Dad, God rest his soul, was an "Old Time 3R" Superintendent of Schools in New England for nie on to forty years. In his day, the teacher would have been out of the classroom, and his system, before the sun rose the next day.
  2. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

That is different than the parents making a big stink. When they suggest that and the school rejects it, let it drop.

We see this as wrong, what the teacher has done, and it is just because she is an authority figure that it is as bad as it is- but she is STILL an authority figure. Taking this to the school board helps instill the disrespect kids these days have for authority. It teaches, "Anytime you disagree with the authority, take them to task on it."

You may argue that we need to sometimes, and I agree. But that isn't really something that has to be taught, it's natural, what has to be taught is the ability to "shut up and take it."

My parents are doing it to my brother. They sit there and badmouth his teachers constantly, I call them on it and they pull out this "Well this teacher IS bad" bullshit (when I know it is just the same thing as when I went through it)... but back in my day my parents NEVER would have called a teacher out over me, it was ALWAYS my fault. If they badmouthed a teacher it was NEVER in front of me.

Which is fine because I respect authority and my brother does not.
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

This is why, if I had to do it over or were in that position now - -

My kids would be HOME SCHOOLED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Vlad, I must respectfully disagree with your position. Because we conservatives have always backed down to "keep the peace", we find ourselves being taken advantage of and sneered at more and more. We have boot marks and tire tracks all over our backs because we have not stood up for what we believe is right.

These parents are not teaching their son to be a crybaby when things don't go your way. They are teaching him that if you feel strongly enough about a position, you should stand up for it, no matter what the consequences.
  5. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Exactly what she said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I feel very strongly that they need to put some ****ing drainage in at work. Unfortunately my boss disagrees, fortunately I have a respect for authority that prods me to leave it be- no matter the fact that our entire yard floods when we get rain (and this IS Seattle after all).

The problem is yes there is a difference, but a little kid doesn't understand that.

If he is taught to suffer silently within reason, in the future he will still be able to confront people when things are wrong- at the right times because it is a natural inclination to do so.
  7. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Vlad, it's true that we all have to "suffer silently within reason" at times, and you are right that the child has to learn when it is appropriate to do so. However, this is not one of those times.

The parents went through the proper channels. They talked to the principal and the school board. The teacher retaliated by assigning extra homework to the child and instituting new classroom rules that targeted the boy.

If he remains in that environment, his education will suffer. He will never be treated fairly. And in my eyes, a child's education is important enough to make an issue over.

In your example, you obviously don't feel strongly enough about the drainage problem to make an issue over it. That's not a judgement, just an observation. If you felt strongly enough about it, you would continue to hammer at your boss. You would organize your co-workers to join you in the protest. If your continued efforts failed to bring about change, you would sue your boss. Or you would quit your job and find a new one where the conditions were more satisfactory.

What if the issue at your job were something else? What if your boss had a vendetta against you? What if he made working conditions harder for you than for any of your co-workers? What if you were required to work 60 hours for the same pay as everyone else got for 40 hours? Would you continue to "suffer silently", or would you stand up for yourself and demand to be treated equally?