Parents: Teacher silenced son on hunting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tracker, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I feel very strongly that they need to put some ****ing drainage in at work. Unfortunately my boss disagrees, fortunately I have a respect for authority that prods me to leave it be- no matter the fact that our entire yard floods when we get rain (and this IS Seattle after all).

The problem is yes there is a difference, but a little kid doesn't understand that.

If he is taught to suffer silently within reason, in the future he will still be able to confront people when things are wrong- at the right times because it is a natural inclination to do so.
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Vlad, it's true that we all have to "suffer silently within reason" at times, and you are right that the child has to learn when it is appropriate to do so. However, this is not one of those times.

The parents went through the proper channels. They talked to the principal and the school board. The teacher retaliated by assigning extra homework to the child and instituting new classroom rules that targeted the boy.

If he remains in that environment, his education will suffer. He will never be treated fairly. And in my eyes, a child's education is important enough to make an issue over.

In your example, you obviously don't feel strongly enough about the drainage problem to make an issue over it. That's not a judgement, just an observation. If you felt strongly enough about it, you would continue to hammer at your boss. You would organize your co-workers to join you in the protest. If your continued efforts failed to bring about change, you would sue your boss. Or you would quit your job and find a new one where the conditions were more satisfactory.

What if the issue at your job were something else? What if your boss had a vendetta against you? What if he made working conditions harder for you than for any of your co-workers? What if you were required to work 60 hours for the same pay as everyone else got for 40 hours? Would you continue to "suffer silently", or would you stand up for yourself and demand to be treated equally?