Parkers Snow 1863 musket

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by hoser1, Jun 15, 2006.

1. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

This was a Yankee gun that was carried home by a St. Louis man's grandfather (or maybe great grandfather) and handed down from father to son until my dad bought it because the man's son was mentally retarded and he had no one else to leave it to. He said he was almost certain it hasn't been fired since the civil war. It still has smoke residue under the barrel. (between the barrel and stock).
    Finish is almost non-existant. Wood is very good considering its age. A few nicks here and there. No ramrod. 3 barrel bands, metal buttplate and forend cap. Lockplate reads Parkers Snow & co. meriden, Conn. Has an eagle with US under it and the date 1863.
    Any idea of its value?
    Can post a picture when I get a camera
    Thanks
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

No clue dude if someone else around here can't help. I would say take it to a antique appraiser
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Parker, Snow & Company of Meriden, Connecticut was a Civil War contractor for the Model 1861 U.S. Percussion Rifle-Musket. They made about 15,000 between 1863-64.

From the 8th Edition of Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms....and their values (page 467):

"Parkers' Snow & Co. contract; made by Parker, Snow & Company, Meriden, Conn., c. 1863-64; total quantity 15,000. Lock marking of eagle motif above U.S., and PARKERS' SNOW & CO./MERIDEN, CONN., to right of hammer; date at rear of lock, 1864. A variant of this musket bearing the same markings but with an 1863 dated lock is believed to be the product of the James Mulholland contract of 1861, of which only 5,502 were delivered. Although definitive proof is not available, these 1863-dated specimens can bring a premium over the regular 1864-dated arms by this company.

Values-----Good $800 Fine-----$2,500"

As with any antique firearm, completeness, originality, and condition will determine the actual value......your gun should really be examined and evaluated "hands on" by an antique firearms expert.

If you want my guesstimate, from your description, and if all of the lettering is fairly sharp and legible, it sounds like this gun should fall in the "Very Good to Fine" area. Adding to that, the premium for an 1863 date, I would guess it would be valued from $2,000 to $3,000.....perhaps even a bit more.
  4. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

I started to get a Flayderman's book today at Books-a-Million but got a Gun Digest Book of the 1911 instead along with the ABC's of reloading and a magazione Guns&Ammo Book of the ar-15.
    Thank you very much for the info. It seems that a hands on evaluation is definately in order.
    I appreciate it.