Parts American Gun Co.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by louismills, Jun 12, 2012.

1. louismills

louismills New Member

I am attempting to get replacements of the hammer springs on a 410 double by American Gun Co., New York. Serial No. 8658 with outside hammers. I can't believe they would be that hard to make, but I do not have the expertise.
  2. RJay

RJay Active Member

American Gun Company is a in house "Trade Name" used by a early 20Th century sporting goods wholesaler , H&D Folsom on Firearms furnished to their customers. If it is U.S. made then it is a Crescent Arms Co. shotgun, however Folsom also imported a great many shotguns from Belgium. :) You can't believe it would be hard to find parts for a shotgun made 80 to a hundred years ago:). Their are no new parts source for these old shotguns, any parts will have to be hand made or come from a like item " parts gun" If you just want to hang it on the wail, Dixie gun works sells generic hammers that can be fitted just for looks. Other wise I be live you are between a rock and a hard place, Sorry about that, I wish I could give you a better answer. You can google H&D Folsom, Crescent Arms Co and Trade Names shotguns for more information on what you have and its history. Oops, just reread you post, hammer springs can be made by most gun smiths, especially if you have the old ones for a pattern. But understand, even something as simple as springs being made can cost more than the shotgun is worth.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  3. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker New Member

You should be sure of the name on the gun American Gun Co of New York, American Gun Co of N.Y. (although it really doesn't matter, Crescent Fire Arms Company made them all). According to the serial number your gun was made in 1897, One hundred and fifteen years ago. Crescent Fire Arms went out of business in 1930 eighty two years ago. Parts are going to be scarce and hard to find. As said, check with Dixie Gun Works for old parts and check sites like Gun Broker.com. Often there are parts and parts guns for sale there.