PASSWORD MANAGERS, anyone use them? Ideas? FREE ones or pay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mjp28, Sep 4, 2012.

1. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

PASSWORD MANAGERS, anyone use them? Ideas? FREE ones or pay?

I've been debating about using one for years.

Plus I'm ready to update all of my user names and passwords anyway.

Opinions? Suggestions? Recommendations on any?
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Identity Safe is included in Norton Internet Security.
    It is GREAT, works perfectly, and only requires logging in with a single 'master' password at the start of each session. It stores not only usernames and passwords, but also identity cards that make filling out on line forms (name, address, phone number, e-mail address, etc.) a matter of a single click -

AND - when I bought a notebook computer, It makes it easy to transfer the entire file and all that information to the second one also.

I can't address the security of the program itself, because I have never had anyone get on my computer and TRY to break into it, and the Norton firewall protects me from outside hackers -

But in general, I think password programs are a good idea. Without them, it is very tempting to use the same password at multiple sites, and that is NOT a good idea. With this program, that temptation is removed -
  3. FlashBang

FlashBang Member

As someone employed in the computer security field, and based on 25 years experience in same, I recommend Password Safe. I use it for keeping my work and my personal passwords secure and available. It is free and very secure.

http://pwsafe.org/

*I am not affiliated with this product
  4. crystalphoto

crystalphoto Member

I use Password Safe also.
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I allow Mozilla FIrefox keep the passwords on SOME of the sites I go to (such as TFF) I put all of my passwords into an Excel spreadsheet and I print it out. I have approximately 75 sites and passwords so I just look at the printout when I get ready to log on to most places.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Or you could do like I do. Got them passwords on Excell, like Moody. But got THAT file on a thumbdrive. NOT on my computer.

If I need to go somewhere that I don't remember the password, I stick that drive in the confuser, open the file and look. Then I close the fire and open the site.
  7. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

I'm about to upgrade all of my user names and better yet passwords into my "4th generation" of passwords. Long gone are the pet names, common numbers, we're going real big, all 12+ and M1xEd $tuff.

Getting harder and harder to remember everything even though I have a master pad at home v 3.0.

Well PASSWORD MANAGER it is, just which to pick, I prefer FREE is it's secure enough. ;)
  8. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I'm still a TXT file holdout too...but one of these days I'll lose both my flash drive and it's backup then I'll be SOL.
    Password Safe does get good reviews but is Winders only.

Being that I'm multi-platform and multi-browser, LastPass looks awful tempting to me but I haven't DL'd it yet to try.
    Anyone here using LastPass? And free or premium?
  9. Bindernut

Since you mentioned leet-speak...
    Keep in mind that most of that leet-speak mixed character **** is already in the cracker libraries too right alongside the real words they sub for so you still need to mix it up.

Steve Gibson has a really interesting read on password entropy on this page. http://www.grc.com/haystack.htm
    About halfway down is a podcast of the Security Now! episode where he covered it in detail.
    A definite must-read and must-listen if you're security conscious. It might surprise you.
  10. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

I use the password manager in Firefox for routine business like TFF, where nothing substantial is at stake. (Sorry.:eek:) Passwords for financial or other private, secure or high-stakes stuff I never keep in Firefox or anywhere else in or on near the computers. I do try to keep an updated hard copy of all passwords stashed in a secure location. Every now and then my aging mind draws a complete blank on something.

A tip for the new, much longer passwords that some sites will require or accept: Find a long sentence, some phrase that has some meaning to you so that you won't forget it and use the first letter of each word, along with some related number. It has to be something that is easy to remember exactly the same way time after time.
  11. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

Agreed Buckshot. DO NOT keep any passwords for financial institution or any important sites on any internet based system. They can crack big business computers and gov't computers so I would not trust any with my money.
  12. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

13. FlashBang

FlashBang Member

Not true, There are versions available for Mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod, Android, Windows, Blackberry, Linux and Solaris. I use it on my Mac, iPad, Toshiba Thrive, Blackberry, Windows and my Linux systems. I use it to store the URL, Username and password for my work accounts and my personal accounts. You can have multiple databases, I have one for work and one for personal, and the database is encrypted as well as password protected. It also allows you to generate random passwords to whatever criteria you want. I am a big proponent of Open Source, I was a code contributer to the Open Source IPcop firewall project, and would rather spend my money on things other then software.
  14. Bindernut

Flashbang,
    Do you have links to the Android version? I did find the 0.8 Linux version on sourceforge now but I can't find any of the other operating systems that you mentioned.
    I would be interested in checking it out because I too prefer open-source software. I am subscribed now...looking forward to seeing more.
    Til then LastPass is still the best option that I've found to date.
  15. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

That's TRUE. I just put M1xEd $tuFF here just as a sentance and not a suggestion. For real secure passwords you want to really mix it up with non-words!

I'm still amazed in articles I read at all the qwerty and other really lame passwords a LOT of people still use! The Top 50 are so easy to guess and hack.

You really need things that are impossible to guess, spell, hack but you still can figure out...and I back up in a notebook that only I have access to.

I have a few neat ones that are theme orientated, one example I like chess. There's a gold mine there of moves, etc. Like start PxKN4.....(or whatever) and go from there.

Some of your hobbies are a good start. ;)
  16. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

I am sure there are free ones, but I paid for one called 1Password. It is on both my Macs and my iPhone. It does a lot including auto generation of passwords and rates the safety of passwords. It also backs itself up to Dropbox so they can be shared between devices.
  17. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I've upgraded my passwords this year but it's a real pain with all the NEW and different PWs! I am finally going to get a password manager, I've looked at many but might get the FREE VERSION of LastPass. Comments or other ideas?

https://lastpass.com/index.php?fromwebsite=1

LastPass is one of those handy utilities that doesn't bother you; in fact, you may barely notice it at all until you need it. Once you install LastPass, you must create an account, which requires selecting a master password for accessing LastPass. And then you're up and running. LastPass is visible only as a gray icon in your browser bar, which changes to an easily-visible red if you're logged in to the app. (You can opt to stay logged in when you close your browser if you're using a secure PC.)

As you browse the Web, LastPass springs into action when you enter a username and password into any kind of Web form. A drop-down menu bar asks if you'd like LastPass to save the login info, which you can assign to a group. When you return to that site, LastPass automatically enters the login info for you. LastPass is a cloud-based password manager, as it syncs your encrypted data with its servers, but also saves an encrypted backup copy on your local machine.

LastPass offers a vault where you can organize and view information about your logins. You can see when you last accessed sites and can view your login info and assess its strength. If you want to change your Web passwords, but don't want to generate your own, LastPass will generate strong passwords for you--and using LastPass means you don't have to worry about remembering a randomly generated password on your own.....
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  18. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    I use KeePassX for all my stuff, work and personal. The ability to keep all the passwords in an encrypted file and store it where necessary, along with the free price tag and cross-platform versatility works well for me.
  19. johnnyehlers

johnnyehlers Member

I use lastpass and am very happy with it. I haven't tried anything else so I can't comment any farther. :)
  20. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I've got LastPass FREE up and running, not bad once you get used to it.

Nice! Once you get all your favorites picked and all that, it does all the preparation and login work. Yeah I'd recommend it, only sorry I waited so long to do it. :eek: