PASSWORD MANAGERS, anyone use them? Ideas? FREE ones or pay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mjp28, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

I am sure there are free ones, but I paid for one called 1Password. It is on both my Macs and my iPhone. It does a lot including auto generation of passwords and rates the safety of passwords. It also backs itself up to Dropbox so they can be shared between devices.
  2. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I've upgraded my passwords this year but it's a real pain with all the NEW and different PWs! I am finally going to get a password manager, I've looked at many but might get the FREE VERSION of LastPass. Comments or other ideas?

https://lastpass.com/index.php?fromwebsite=1

LastPass is one of those handy utilities that doesn't bother you; in fact, you may barely notice it at all until you need it. Once you install LastPass, you must create an account, which requires selecting a master password for accessing LastPass. And then you're up and running. LastPass is visible only as a gray icon in your browser bar, which changes to an easily-visible red if you're logged in to the app. (You can opt to stay logged in when you close your browser if you're using a secure PC.)

As you browse the Web, LastPass springs into action when you enter a username and password into any kind of Web form. A drop-down menu bar asks if you'd like LastPass to save the login info, which you can assign to a group. When you return to that site, LastPass automatically enters the login info for you. LastPass is a cloud-based password manager, as it syncs your encrypted data with its servers, but also saves an encrypted backup copy on your local machine.

LastPass offers a vault where you can organize and view information about your logins. You can see when you last accessed sites and can view your login info and assess its strength. If you want to change your Web passwords, but don't want to generate your own, LastPass will generate strong passwords for you--and using LastPass means you don't have to worry about remembering a randomly generated password on your own.....
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  3. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    I use KeePassX for all my stuff, work and personal. The ability to keep all the passwords in an encrypted file and store it where necessary, along with the free price tag and cross-platform versatility works well for me.
  4. johnnyehlers

johnnyehlers Member

I use lastpass and am very happy with it. I haven't tried anything else so I can't comment any farther. :)
  5. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I've got LastPass FREE up and running, not bad once you get used to it.

Nice! Once you get all your favorites picked and all that, it does all the preparation and login work. Yeah I'd recommend it, only sorry I waited so long to do it. :eek:
  6. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

HOLY SMOKES! If you hit "OPEN FAVORITES" it goes and opens and logs you into all of them at once. Whew.

Computer toys can be fun....or scary at first. :eek:
  7. JonF

JonF New Member

LastPass. I agree that it takes a bit of getting used to, but it IS a nice thing to have.
  8. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

I am very interested in Last Pass, would this be secure for banking or no. I have always had a fear of password hacking. Sounds like ya'll have found a solution to the problem. Guess I just need a little more convencing. I am a little reluctant for an outside company like Last Pass or any of the others of storing my passwords. Also what if I was somewhere else using someone else's computer, could I still log in.? Excuse me for being so dumb about this subject. But this is something new to me (I live a sheltered life) I need to do more exploreing.
    Any advise would be appreaciated, and thanks to the main post on this subject, it has really got me to thinking.
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Carl,
    Lastpass is an excellent choice for keeping your banking passwords safe.
    Your passwords are encrypted locally on your machine before the blob of encrypted bits is stored on their server for your remote access use. The encryption/decryption is done on your machine so there is no unscrambled password info flying around the internet.

If you are using someone else's computer, then yes you can log into your Lastpass account IF you install the Lastpass browser extension onto their machine. This needs to be done to get the software onto that machine so your password info blob can be unscrambled on that computer.
    That's how Lastpass can ensure security with your info. The only place it's ever decrypted is on the machine that you're using.

The nicest thing about it is that you only need one main master password to remember. You really should have a good strong password (varied character types, long, and NO common dictionary words) for the sites you visit, especially banking stuff. With a good manager program you only need to remember one of those big gangly passwords instead of umpteen dozen. :)

If you visit their site, there are a few short videos with describing how it works. https://lastpass.com/

Since my earlier posts in here last fall I did take the plunge and go with the Premium version of Lastpass (mainly for the Android access feature but also to get rid of the advertising). The free version is a good one to try out to see if you'll like it and if you don't have a dumb-phone then you'll probably be happy with the free version too.
  10. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Carl,
    Well us old guys can do it. I just went through the sign up and activation of my Last Pass account. Not a big problem and lots of help at the site.

Thanks to all here who have given advice and help. I feel much better now as I was concerned about maintaining safe pass words and now that problem is solved.
  11. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

You still want good long secure passwords, it was getting hard to remember all of my 9-12 digit ones with CAPS, numbers, symbols.

LastPass does encript them on your machine and when you go to log in to your bank, credit, even here. ;)

Sure makes it easier and faster to get online!
  12. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

my wife has her own computer, we use the same password for our bank accounts. How would this effect her on her computer, would she still be able to log into our account the same way as she does now. ???????? Or would she have to use last past also?????????
  13. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

It would be easiest if you both used LastPass. Install it on both of your guys' computers. You both can still keep a separate log-in database for each of you if you both sign up for LastPass.
    For example: If you use a password generated by LastPass for a bank or whatever, you will create it on one account and manually copy it into your wife's LastPass account. Or...you can manually create the password yourselves and save it into the password vault on both accounts.
    The most secure scenario would be to let LastPass generate the passwords for you though since it will pick a pseudo-random sequence of characters...stuff that's not easy to guess (and not easy to remember) but since the password is stored for you, you don't need to worry about remembering a complex password.

When you sign up for LastPass, you will have your own log-in to access your password list. You can log into your password list from either computer. And vice versa for your wife. She will have her own log-in and password list. Either of you can access your own lists from either machine by using your log-in.

Therein lies the advantage. You only have to remember one complex password to log into LastPass so you don't have to remember all of your other passwords.
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
  14. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

NO password managers, keep the passwords and user ID's in a notebook in a drawer near you.
  15. johnnyehlers

johnnyehlers Member

Last edited: May 22, 2013