pated bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Appliancedude, May 4, 2012.

1. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

So I bought a box of Berry's premium plated bullets. 158gr FP .357 What data do I use.

berry's web site says
    Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.

but searching old posts on plated bullets, everyone says they use lead data. And one person said that Barrys recommends lead data. Obviously not according to the above.
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
  2. armoredman

armoredman New Member

Do as told, do not waver.
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Just do what Berry's recommends. Use Jacketed data, start low and work up to mid range loads. Forget lead data and what you have read, do what your bullet manufacturer recommends.
  4. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I have had no problems loading the 158 plated bullets at close to max with 2400 and a CCI550. Key words here is to work up the load from minimum, and dont reference loads via internet posts, use your published data references only....have fun.
  5. RandyP

RandyP Member

I reload only plated - Berry or Ranier -and if memory serves the high end of lead data IS right around the low-mid point of jacketed?

Potayto-Potahto
  6. mikld

mikld Member

berry's web site says
    "Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads."

The guys that make them said to use low to mid-range jacketed data. Why would you not do that? Do these other reloaders ("everyone") that give different data know more than the manyfacturer? Actually you can load them any way you want to, but don't expect results like the manufacturer's results...
  7. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

8. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

In short, yes. Berry's has not tested their bullets in my gun, in my range environment. Load development is key, in MY situation, for example, accuracy was incredible at .5 off of max out a 6" GP100. I mean one of the most accurate load/gun combination I have ever witnessed. If Berrys says use low-mid range charges with their bullets, I dont blame them, everyone producing reloading supplies and equipment in a responsible manner will
    recommend safety first, they have a business to protect.