Patton iron: frivolous question

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

obelix2
    (5/23/01 5:03:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Patton iron: frivolous question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    George Patton carried a lot of iron on his person -- maybe even a BAR concealed in his left sock. But what he's known for are those two ivory-handled revolvers on either hip. Does anybody know what they were?

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (5/23/01 5:55:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Patton iron: frivolous question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I always thought they were Colts, not sure, but I think I have it around here somewhere...

I read somewhere he usually carried the .32ACP Generals Issue concealed...

Xracer
    (5/23/01 7:05:00 pm)
    I've seen pictures of him wearing one nickle plated Single Action Army.....at other times he wore an M1903 or M1908 General Officer's Model with stars on the handle.

ldsteff
    (4/24/02 10:25:31 pm)
    The Patton Museum lists them as original .357s of the first ever to be
    made--Pattons private firearms collection is about 500 weapons all on display
    at Ft. Knox

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/25/02 8:08:25 am)
    Some reporter once asked Georgie about his "pearl handled revolver". He's reputed to have answered, "They're IVORY handles. Only whorehouse pimps carry guns with pearl handles!"

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/25/02 3:47:02 pm)

Quote:
    maybe even a BAR concealed in his left sock

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/26/02 12:01:40 pm)
    here they are

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/27/02 4:41:26 pm)
    Thanks Fred!

I knew I saw pics with him packing the Peacemaker, I was surprised about the .357, looked like he used them both, probably depending on which of his many "reincarnations" he was "playing" at the time...
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

17th FA Bn
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/28/02 10:29:31 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del My trip to the Patton Museum
    I stopped at the Patton Museum at Fort Knox over the weekend while in that area. At the Patton Museum some of the displays touched on the General's weapons. According to them the only time he carried two revolvers was in the North African campaign. After that he carried only the .45. Both guns were on display. The .357 had a 4" barrel, and the .45 appeared to have a 5" barrel. The .45 had ivory grips with an eagle carved into one side, and his initials on the other.

Interestingly the .45 had two notches on the grip with the eagle. The display said they were for the two Mexican bandits he shot during the U.S., expedition into Mexico before W.W. I. You can clearly see the notches in "The Real Fredneck's" pictures just below the screwholding on the grips. (see "The Real Fredneck's" post two up from mine). The .357 and .45 are in seperate cases now and not as shown in the pictures posted by the "real fredneck".

They also had a .35 Remington pump action rifle carried by one of the bandits he shot and killed. The bandit tried to shot Patton with this rifle. The .35 had failed to fire saving Pattons life.

Edited by: 17th FA Bn at: 4/28/02 5:26:30 pm

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/28/02 11:36:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Patton iron: frivolous question
    From "LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO SPEND IT WITH AN UGLY GUN!", by JOHN TAFFIN.

Complete text can be read at: www.sixguns.com/bunkhouse/fancy.htm

Quote:
    Young Lieutenant Patton chose a special sixgun before he joined Black Jack Pershing to pursue Pancho Villa in 1916. That sixgun was a Colt Single Action Army .45 with the 'Gunfighter' length 4 3/4" barrel also fully engraved carrying ivory grips with the initials GSP etched into them. This sixgun, carried in a Myres Border Patrol holster, became his authority symbol in World War II. Contrary to popular belief, Patton did not have a pair of Colts. His second sixgun, also packed in a Myres holster and sometimes packed in tandem with the Colt, was an ivory stocked Smith & Wesson 4" .357 Magnum, one of the first out of the factory as Patton bought his in Hawaii in 1935.

RuffItt

17th FA Bn
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/1/02 4:44:02 pm)
    RUFFIT, that fancy .45 Patton carried in WW II is not the same gun he had when he went with Black Jack Pershing into Mexico. They had the .45 he had in Mexico at the Museum also. I'm not sure of the barrel length, but it was a .45 revolver, that was black, and looked more like a standard army pistol.