PATTON; MAKING THE MOVIE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Redneck2000, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Redneck2000

Redneck2000 New Member

Anybody catch the History Channel program today abt the making of this movie? It was a great program, w/lots of footage of the real man.

One thing I noticed, though: He was always famed for carrying the ivory handled six gun, and shown with it throughout the movie and during the original footage. However, in the scene where he went outside and was firing at the strafing planes, he was using an auto loader (I presume a 1911). I wonder if that was an oversight, or if I missed something? Any thoughts?

Good movie and good program abt its making...:)
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

If I remember correctly, when he fired at the strafing planes, I believe it was with a Colt M1903....which was the issue handgun for General officers.

At other times, he carried an ivory handled Colt SAA in .45 Colt, and a standard M1911A1.

I've heard that he also owned an S&W revolver in .357 Magnum (also with ivory handles)....but I don't know of any that were made in that caliber that early.
  3. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

I've heard that he also owned an S&W revolver in .357 Magnum (also with ivory handles)....but I don't know of any that were made in that caliber that early.

Yes I have read where Patton did indeed own a Smith 357 mag - introduced in the mid 30s so it would have been "easy" for someone of his status to aquire one before WWII.
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I remember reading, years ago, that he had one of the first .357s off the line. It was in a gun magazine article about the history of the cartridge.

Pops
  5. Redneck2000

Redneck2000 New Member

6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Thanks for the link, Redneck.

I stand corrected then....it apparently was an M1908 instead of an M1903.....but they look the same, and both were issued to General Officers in WWII.

And here's some trivia for you: The strafing planes (supposed to be German Heinkel He 111s) were actually a Spanish built version of that plane, the CASA 2.111.......which were still flying in the Spanish Air Force at the time the movie was made.

These same planes were also used extensively in the movie "The Battle of Britain".