Patton's views on everyone's job in a war...

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

dreamcatcher27371
    (6/7/01 9:31:25 pm)
    | Del All Patton's views on everyone's job in a war...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Little rough language here but it's a quote. Puts a lot of things into the correct perspective.....

"All of the real heroes are not storybook combat fighters, either. Every single man in this Army plays a vital role. Don't ever let up. Don't ever think that your job is unimportant. Every man has a job to do and he must do it. Every man is a vital link in the great chain. What if every truck driver suddenly decided that he didn't like the whine of those shells overhead, turned yellow, and jumped headlong into a ditch? The cowardly bastard could say, "Hell, they won't miss me, just one man in thousands". But, what if every man thought that way? Where in the hell would we be now? What would our country, our loved ones, our homes, even the world, be like? No, Goddamnit, Americans don't think like that. Every man does his job. Every man serves the whole. Every department, every unit, is important in the vast scheme of this war. The ordnance men are needed to supply the guns and machinery of war to keep us rolling. The Quartermaster is needed to bring up food and clothes because where we are going there isn't a hell of a lot to steal. Every last man on K.P. has a job to do, even the one who heats our water to keep us from getting the 'G.I. Shits'."
    "Each man must not think only of himself, but also of his buddy fighting beside him. We don't want yellow cowards in this Army. They should be killed off like rats. If not, they will go home after this war and breed more cowards. The brave men will breed more brave men. Kill off the Goddamned cowards and we will have a nation of brave men. One of the bravest men that I ever saw was a fellow on top of a telegraph pole in the midst of a furious fire fight in Tunisia. I stopped and asked what the hell he was doing up there at a time like that. He answered, "Fixing the wire, Sir". I asked, "Isn't that a little unhealthy right about now?" He answered, "Yes Sir, but the Goddamned wire has to be fixed". I asked, "Don't those planes strafing the road bother you?" And he answered, "No, Sir, but you sure as hell do!" Now, there was a real man. A real soldier. There was a man who devoted all he had to his duty, no matter how seemingly insignificant his duty might appear at the time, no matter how great the odds. And you should have seen those trucks on the rode to Tunisia. Those drivers were magnificent. All day and all night they rolled over those son-of-a-bitching roads, never stopping, never faltering from their course, with shells bursting all around them all of the time. We got through on good old American guts. Many of those men drove for over forty consecutive hours. These men weren't combat men, but they were soldiers with a job to do. They did it, and in one hell of a way they did it. They were part of a team. Without team effort, without them, the fight would have been lost. All of the links in the chain pulled together and the chain became unbreakable."
    "Don't forget," "you men don't know that I'm here. No mention of that fact is to be made in any letters. The world is not supposed to know what the hell happened to me. I'm not supposed to be commanding this Army. I'm not even supposed to be here in England. Let the first bastards to find out be the Goddamned Germans. Some day I want to see them raise up on their piss-soaked hind legs and howl, 'Jesus Christ, it's the Goddamned Third Army again and that son-of-a-fucking-bitch Patton'."

low2go
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (6/8/01 7:52:20 am)
    | Del Re: Patton's views on everyone's job in a war...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The man was a bronco--I was a kid who read the news papers, and the war correspondents who did the articles for the wire services, loved to get that man stirred up. I was almost twelve when the war ended and the DesMoines Register and Tribune carried story after story about Patton--as depicted in the movie of Patton slapping that solider who was a hospital patient, the General bled for that misdeed. Old Blood and Guts they called him--later I saw a movie about Patton having been assassinated rather than having died in that Jeep accident. I think sometimes Westmoreland attempted to be like Patton--just a passing reflection on how things happened over there--I also believe that Gen. Creigton Abrams (sp) proved to be the stabilizing portion of the blend--. Wilborn

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (6/8/01 10:24:11 am)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Patton's views on everyone's job in a war...
    I think that Westmoreland would have loved to have had the freedom of decision making that Patton did. It seems to me that from his first day on the job to his last, he was on a very short string. Not sure if you remember but he frequently made trips back and forth to the pentagon no doubt pleading and no doubt being told that his operation would be limited to those things that wouldn't offend the Chinese and Russians. Once again, the press didn't help the Vietnam effort.

Misterstan
    (6/8/01 11:43:18 am)
    Dreamcatcher,

Another great post showing how everyone's job in the service was important. I believe we can extend that out to countless others who served throughout the world in the U. S. military.

We may never know just how many men and women in the armed forces volunteered for duty in Vietnam but were not allowed to go because their jobs were believed to be equally as important as the men and women in-country by their superiors.

To all who served, you have my deepest respect and admiration.

Stan Lambert
    St. Clair Shores, Michigan

homer4
    (6/8/01 8:22:01 pm)
    A man that fully appreciated what it takes to do battle and win a War.

...and two hard boiled eggs.