1. phhartmann@msn.com

phhartmann@msn.com New Member

I inherited an Iver Johnson .32 ca. revolver pistol. The only engravings on the barrel read as follows:
    *Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works*
    Fitchburg, Mass. U.S.A.

On the ouside of the trigger guard reads: 82602 (or B2602??)

There are no other readable engravings (no caiber, nothing); however, there is some unreadable engraving on the butt, but is too worn to decipher.

The pistol has a break top latch; is blue; double action, 4" barrel; black handle grips with "owl" emblem on top of grip. V. good condition.

Along with the gun, I received a box of .32 cal short COLT ammo. I have fired five rounds only to have all five of the brass split.

Questions: 1. what ammo is appropriate?; 2. how old is it?, and 3. what's your best estimate of value?

Thanks. Any other info would be appreciated
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

To determine the model you have and when made, remove the grips and there should be a serial number on left grip frame with a letter prefix.

(When you remove the grips, note if the mainspring is a flat or coil type)

The correct ammo is the .32 S&W cartridge, which has a slightly larger diameter diameter than the .32 Short Colt and that's why they split.

Value will depend on condition and you'll need to post clear photos.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  3. phhartmann@msn.com

hrf: the serial # is G 82602 and has a coil mainspring.
    Can you give me anymore info.?

Thanks.
    Paul
  4. phhartmann@msn.com

hrf: The serial # is G 82602 and the mainspring is a coil.

Can you give me any other info.?

Thanks
    Paul
  5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Made in 1923.

Added note re ammo: It will also chamber and fire .32 Auto/.32ACP, but don't do so as the .32 Auto creates much greater pressure than .32 S&W.
  6. phhartmann@msn.com

ANY IDEA WHAT THE MODEL # IS?

I have one full box and another half full box of the .32 SHORT COLT ammo, still with $3.85 price on the boxes. Any idea what they're worth?

THANKS, HRL.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

It's a small frame Third Model (model numbers were not then used)

Someone who needs .32 Short Colt ammo would probably pay more than the seven cents a round, but it's not particularly valuable.
    You would need to sell it locally as cost of shipping would exceed its value. Someone at a gun show might swap .32 S&W for it.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012