Pawn Stars Gun Desk

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Bob Smalser, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Bob Smalser

Bob Smalser New Member

This one is much worse than the fingernails on a chalkboard when these lads take valuable antiques to the range for shooting and bayonet charges. In this one their firearms "expert" advises a customer to alter and probably ruin a unique antique.

http://www.history.com/shows/pawn-st...ars-chummobile

A woman brings in a small, portable writing desk with a concealed gun built into a trap door in the desk front and a button trigger so a person seated in front of the desk would get shot when the button was pressed. It reminded me of way back when the army paid in cash and lieutenant pay officers and their drivers went well-armed on payday, as a large company's cash payroll was 200 grand when a LT made 300 a month, his driver 85, and when you lost something it really did come out of your pay. A Victorian-era, portable payroll desk custom built for a railroad, coal mine, or other business back when companies paid on the job site, the insurance industry was in its infancy and cash payrolls were prime criminal targets.

The gun was an antique, black-powder alarm gun like you find on old, 19th-Century catalogs. It looked like it was brass. They were made to screw to a window or door frame, were loaded with blanks, and were configured to trip when an intruder opened the window or door, frightening the intruder away. Most were percussion, but this one was a .22 or .32 rimfire clearly designed for blanks, as it had a chamber but no barrel. Loaded with a live round, however, it certainly would hit something only two feet away. The 22 rimfire cartridge dates to Flobert’s BB Cap in 1845.

It could possibly have been a stage prop, but the unit looks purpose-built and well-made. Namely, too well done for temporary use.

Not only could our “expert” not identify the firearm, he advised the owner to take it to a gunsmith to be “deactivated”, as it was likely “not a pre-1898 antique” and additionally could be considered a “concealed weapon” illegal to buy and sell without deactivation.

Words can't describe what poor advice that was on several levels. If he were a physician I'd apply to revoke his license.
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I long ago stopped watching those idiots; what they know about guns would fit on the back or a postage stamp. I just feel sorry for the dummies who accept that garbage as fact.

Jim
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Yeah I saw that one too, and was appalled by the advice also, I'm glad somebody else was too.

Without even checking it out...I was thinking any gunsmith would tell them it wasn't necessary before he did anything like that but then again the guy probably has "a buddy" that's a gunsmith as well that is about as knowledgeable as his other "experts."

I don't mind the show though, when I'm on the road in a hotel with nothing better to do I generally end up watching either that, or "Sons of Guns" or the History Channel, or "Myth Busters" if Fox News is boring or I don't have a book or a gun magazine handy....:p:D
  4. Juker

Juker New Member

1. Isn't it amazing how many people get lowballed, then stand outside talking to the camera trying to make themselves feel better? "I was asking $52,000, but I got $20, so I guess I'm pretty happy."

2. Why do 99% of the people who go in there think it's the only place on earth to sell something? Don't like their price? For cryin' out loud, SELL IT SOMEWHERE ELSE!!

3. How many times has someone come in with a valuable photo, or document, or cloth item, or coin, and those yahoos grab it with their grubby paws? Get a box of food handler gloves at the dollar store and put it on the counter!
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

I still watch this show on occasion - I find it entertaining in it's idiocy both before and behind the counter. A friend of mine was recently vacationing in Las Vegas and stopped at their shop. He said that the TV makes it look a lot more professional than it really is. The part of the shop where most of the "work" is done he said looks "like a hole in the wall". They apparently spruced up the "set" where the TV action occurs. He also said that the only "character" that he saw in the shop was the MORON - Chumlee? - and that he was busy signing autographs. I love the times when they show the crew screwing up a purchase - I'll bet there's a lot more that we don't see.