Paying for your children's college tuition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CCHolderinMaine, Jul 21, 2013.

1. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

I graduated in 70. I attended a votec center for the last 2 years of high school for 1 1/2 hours each day
    back then it was considered for slow learners
    as I watched the elite class mates make fun of us that attended the votec center, I made a statement to some of them that I am sure that they never forgot.
    anyway, as I aged I found better jobs. to make a long story short out of all the class that went to college there is only only that has made his life very comfortable. most are still working while I have been retired since 2009
    college is not for everyone! just remember someone has to get their hands dirty
  2. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

We put both of our kids through the local 4 year college. Never borrowed a cent. Neither one of them had a car until they started to college. When they started I told them they had a car as long as they were in school, and would sign it over to them when they graduated. If they dropped out I would sell the car. Both graduated in the top of their class and now are living happily ever after.;):)
  3. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

Same thing your doing. Sending my daughter to Ohio State University to become a Dr. Quite expensive isn't it.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

One of the most important pieces to paying for college is to get as much scholarship money as you can. I have a young lady who has worked for me since she was 16, and she's headed to a very pricey private school in a month. Her tuition and room/board will be about $46,000 per year. She has $188,000 in scholarship money. She has worked her tail off, and she's earned it. It can be done even from a middle class family.

The second thing I will recommend is that you really look at the value vs. cost of each school. The community college classes at $70 per credit hour will get you a degree the same as that private school at $1070 per hour. Even if you transfer after two years so that you get the degree from the big name school, you've still saved tens of thousands of dollars. And employers are increasing looking at what you can do rather than where you went to school.

"But what about missing the 'college experience' that all my friends are getting?" You can buy a lot of experience for a lot less than $30,000.
  5. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

How very true that is!! After my dad retired and retired and retired again he went on to teach HVAC at two local trade schools here in Ohio.

Many former students up until he died a decade ago used to write him and thank him, telling him how well they are doing all over the country, many down South and many with their own businesses.

He was the best motor, controls and electrical guy I've ever seen and loved to teach his guys how to study and succeed. One great guy, my dad!
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  6. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

One of my daughters went to a community college for 2 years and then got a full scholarship to a private university. She now has a masters in accounting. All she paid for was the 1st 2 years.

My other daughter paid her own way through a 2 year degree at a community college. I have 6 kids and after high school none of them wanted to go to school. When they hit about 30 then they wise up.