1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

PCP ammo - polymer cases

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dmh, Jan 21, 2011.

1. dmh

dmh New Member

Has anyone looked at this yet? This could either suck real bad or be really cool .. if they were expensive but lasted forever that would be amazing. Probably don't have to trim too, ha

http://www.pcpammo.com/products.html
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I used to make plastics many years ago when i worked in thermal plastics. youd be suprised how strong some of that stuff is.
  3. dmh

dmh New Member

oh heck yeah. I can't even break damn tupperware these days. you think it will fatigue from sealing the chamber and eventually wear out though?
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

oh sure, especially in the higher pressure rounds. I bet they have used some sort of reinforced impact grade polymer. 'Impacts' like nylon, exxelon, kydex, etc have an extreme elasticity, that why they call them impact grade, and some of them can be formulated to flex without stressing at all, kydex is one that comes to mind, you can bend it plum in two and it will spring back. but under the heat and pressure in a firearms chamber its bound to give sooner ro later... heat is plastic's only weakness IMO
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I am pretty certain that they're only a one shot deal, reloading them would be out of the question IMO. Great for weight savings and corrosion resistance though!
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

the article says they are reloadable. pretty neat in a way. i would think it would eliminate the problems of case lengthening and brass flow. imagine being able to make target ammo and reload the cases 100+ times.

dunno so much that i like the idea of more plastic stuff though. always something they're converting to plastic. wonder if powder would eat into it over time. like over decades
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I doubt it, they have been using plastic powder containers for about the last 20 years or so and none have been eaten thru
  8. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i dont know about that particular brand,but there was a plastic reloadable 38 special over twenty years ago.it had a white case and a real wierd gilded bullet.the bullet was round and had a flat end like a wad cutter.the end of the bullet had a notch that locked into the case.