The Firearms Forum banner

Pedersoli Kodiak Express MK VI .54-Cal. Double-Barrel Rifle

8K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  sharps4590 
#1 ·
Anybody have one of these bad boys? I am considering ordering. I rarely need a 2nd shot for deer, but I can see where it might come in handy.

And this rifle is drop-dead gorgeous!!

#2 ·
I have one in 50 cal. I didn't think much of the locks and had to work over both of them. I didn't think much of the woodwork either. Certainly without balance and too heavy. Just poorly done in my opinion. If you're alright with their means of sighting a double, using a different rear sight for each barrel, they're quite accurate, or mine was. If you want them to shoot as a double rifle should, both barrels to one rear sight....good luck with that. I'm pretty fair at getting double rifles to regulate using loads, having had lots of practice, unless the regulation is off altogether.....and mine was off altogether....but I'll bet was never actually regulated in the true sense of the word. Solder or braze the barrels together, put two rear sights on them and send them out the door. If I did not own British and German double rifles I might have been ok with the Pedersoli. As it is I have a rather low opinion of them....I wouldn't recommend one.

#5 ·
Paul, they're black powder cartridge, not muzzleloaders. The German is from the late 1870's to early 1880's and the British is almost assuredly from the 1880's. Both are hammer guns.

Recommend something? Wow, when it comes to DR's that's tough, honestly....first question, how much do you want to spend, and two, how experienced a reloader are you? That is if you're looking for a BPE double. Here's a few links that will give you an idea of what you're looking at. There is a few pretty good buys out there I think, if you're considering an older rifle. Don't choke when you first see the prices, just browse through the listings and watch for the older stuff.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/En...c4f42989b-8A7413C8-90B1-1C3E-AE805D296816F712

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Eu...c4f42989b-8A7413C8-90B1-1C3E-AE805D296816F712

http://www.*********.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=double+rifle

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/Category/239/2/Guns/Rifles/Double-Rifles.htm

#6 ·
Sorry I was not more clear - I'm really only interested in current-prod guns. As for price, $1500 at the top end - I see those antiques are, not surprisingly, VERY expensive!

But, if you're comparing a $1300 rifle to something like that, it's not too surprising it comes up a bit short.

I think this may actually be the only black powder muzzleloader double-barreled rifle currently made. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#7 ·
Comparison or not the Kodiak double I had was totally underwhelming an unimpressive. I know Pedersoli is capable of better work than they put into it. Maybe I just got a lemon but it was lemon enough it soured me on them. Perhaps had I not already been shooting correctly made DR's for about 20 years and knew how they were supposed to work I might not be so hard on it....and I've been shooting muzzleloaders 20 years longer than that, still do, so it wasn't unfamiliarity with them. But even the Lyman Great Plains Rifle at less than $500.00 has a much better lock and triggers than is on the Kodiak as does the el cheapo old CVA's. I just didn't like having to fool with all its issues and it still not behave as just a decent, not expensive, double should. If one enjoys carrying around a couple hollow truck axels that have been soldered together it is a fine piece.

Except for custom doubles I do believe your correct that it is the only double rifle ML currently in production. Seems someone else was making one a few years ago but maybe it was the Kodiak rebranded, I don't know.

#8 ·
"Hollow truck axels that have been soldered together" - LOL!

Well, I had an unpleasant discovery anyway: starting this year (I think) my state does NOT allow double-barreled rifles in ML season. I could use it in the regular season but I'd rather not, really.

So, with that, as well as your feedback (though others seem to like them), I'll pass.

So, what's the best inline single-barrel rifle that uses ML caps (no 209s)? Cause, actually, I had my eye on a CVA Accura 2...

#9 ·
They do Paul, and more power to them. I'm glad they're pleased with the rifle...because a double ML is just pretty cool.

I'll have to bow out at this point as I am completely ignorant of in-lines, traditional only here and that 90% flintlocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.