Peep Sight Advice Needed

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by LTCSZ, Feb 1, 2012.

1. LTCSZ

LTCSZ New Member

Hi: I have a barrel mounted peep sight on my Henry .22 Lever Action, Octagon barrel rifle...It is mounted on the standard dovetail...I am having difficulty seeing a clear front sight picture...So, here's my question; would I be better off moving the peep sight toward my eye? I could mount it as close as I want using a ramp mounted peep sight made by Skinner Sights...Or, would I be better off to try making the front sight brighter by painting it with a bright, fluorescent type paint...Hope the question is clear...Thanks a lot...

Steve
  2. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Lyman made one that flips and had a ladder style adjustments to it. I think Marble's game getter too.
  3. FW!

FW! New Member

You want the peep to be as close to your eye as you can get it. Try a tang sight like a Marbles or Lyman
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

whoa on that FW!
    yes closer is better but watch for recoil and over sight ( which is too close to get the fore sight centred ..)

if you can get the opter ( the part with the actual peepsight) out or remove the sight totally , try this

get something like a gun rest some cusions lead sled etc to hold your rifle to where you can see a distance , say 20 feet or better ( 50 yards is great )

position your sight allong the side of the rifle while you hold it like your shooting

now slid the sight along til you get a not too big , but clear sight picture , good clean foresight ,and clear circle ( rear peep sight) to centre it in ... , mark that and mount there

that way the sight suits YOU 3-5 " suits most folks

good luck eh

PS

how big is the opter hole ?

if you dont have a clean view of the foresight the hole maybe small for your eye

if the hole is too small you may wish to try drilling out the hole to the next size up

save you remounting ..
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  5. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    If you have the sight close enough and you still can't see it you probably need a bigger hole to look through. Some have to take the aperture out completely and just look through the aperture frame almost like a ghost ring. I would love to have 20-20 vision but never did so we have to learn about stuff like this.