The Firearms Forum banner

Pellets instead of BP for Sidelock ML

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  old semperfi 
#1 ·
Can BP Pellets be used in a CVA .50 caliber sidelock muzzelloader instead of grain BP? I read on other forums where guys say the use them with no problems as long as they use magnum #11 caps.

If so would you need a wad between the pellet and the ball or sabot? If using a ball would you need a patch?

Thanks.
Ray

#2 ·
G'day Melton

its a area factor , grains have more surface area to catch and burn faster .. but the facts are with the amounts of a single average load it aint THAT much difference , its noticeable if you have the ear , but not that much really , like a poor pan fire at most

the barrels are long enough for a maximum burn anyway with most powders , there are exceptions but aint there always ?

because of the delay i'd tend to lube a bit more thoughtfully , thats all

me personally i would wad and patch

#3 ·
I'm not much on the replica powders, but I'd go a loose powder if I were you in that caplock. Believe those pellets were designed for them in-line folks.
If you're gonna be shooting a roundball in that .50 it will take a .490 ball and patch. Most places these days you'll find both the ball and a pre-cut and pre-lubed patch. Course there are conical options too. Far as wads...I use them in my rifles. They aren't intended for a saboted bullet though.

#4 ·
good advise has been given,but unless the frount loader is designed for pellets,your wasting money.the charge probably will not go off.i dont know where you are getting your info but pellets are for inlines only,unless otherwise stated on barrel.yes you patch round balls and not the lubed mini balls.sabots will not shoot true if your loader has a greater twist,such as one in 48. old semperfi

G
#5 ·
Pellets are harder to ignite than is loose powder. Many pellets have and "up" and "down" to them and the dark end is real BP (or sub) for better ignition. You will have better results with loose powder.

The wad is to give more consistent powder pressure, which is not as critical with pellets. It will also give you better lubrication, shot to shot, and can make loading subsequent rounds easier.

The patch is used to seal the ball to the lands of the barrel. If using the proper sized ball for that barrel, a patch is necessary. If using conicals or sabots that are designed to upset inside the barrel to make the seal, patching is not necessary.

If you insist on using pellets in a percussion, replace your nipple and use musket caps. You will still experience the occasional missfire or hang fire, but not all that often for shooting on the range. For hunting, I will never use pellets for that reason.

Pops

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.