1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Penetration of 380

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cgraz1187, Nov 9, 2006.

1. cgraz1187

cgraz1187 New Member

I was wondering if someone knew if a 380acp will penetrat 2 wooden doors, I just purchased a bersa thunder and I wnated to try it out down the basement. I have a little area set up down there that I have used with my 25. Basically 2 solid old wood doors in front a a piece of drywall... behind it.. solid brick. Will the 380 penetrate the 2 doors and hit the brick?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I would try it outside first and make sure to always use the same brand and bullet type as you did in the test. also the same distance!
    Ron
  3. Kenneth

Kenneth New Member

Wood won't hold up to a lot before you chew a hole . If you seriously want an indoor range , and your handy with a welder , drop by a local Welding shop or scrap yard , get yourself 3 sheets of 5/16" steel about 4ft. high by 3ft. wide . Set one sheet at about a 60 degree angle and use the other two for side shield welded to the angled piece , then weld a piece about 3ft wide by 5" minumim tall across the bottom front , on the two side shields at the top you can cut you some hand slots for you and a friend to grasp for moving if you like .
    Fill the bottom with sand to the top of the botttom piece . Use cardboard and little imagination for taget holder or sections of the door to slow the rds up a litle before striking the steel .
    I would really suggest lead round nose as even a 380 with FMJ's are going to crack it sooner or later . Also you will need a vent fan , gunsmoke and lead will get stiffling indoors a lot sooner than you think . I wouldn't recomend anything stronger than 38 speacial wadcutters or 380 led round nose , for ricochette safety and back stop lasting . We made one outside and about every 100-150 rds of 357 mag require welding cracks .
    If your basement is cinderblock you are risking costing yourself some expense if you or a buddy shoot through your stop or miss it entierly , leaks and all sorts of pains in the rear .
    We also built somewhat smaller scale stops for a indoor rimfire range , 22's only and after a while even 1/4" steel looks like it's got the mumps with L.R. and even rimfires require some ventalation if you get a half dozen or so shooters going .
    If you don't mind cycling the action manually , you can get some plastic 38 cal. bullets and use primers only for some surprisingly accurate shooting at 10-15 yds . Reducing the need for such a heavy backstop , cardboard box filled with crumpled news papers works great for these .
    Edited this to say , if you don't have at LEAST 50 ft of shooting range in your basement , I would strongly suggest against it . Not trying to be a stick in the mud , but a safe distance and plenty of sand is a big factor when using a deflecting device for a stop , cannot stress this enough .
    Kenneth
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

If you hit it is the same spot enought times any thing will penetrate
    But when you do it I would not use FMJ's
  5. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

You may consider getting Glasers or MagSafes. Be sure of reliable feeding. (That would be expensive with an auto pistol, I know. That´s a plus for revolvers)