Penguin tear gas PENGUN

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mclobas, Feb 17, 2011.

1. mclobas

mclobas New Member

I have a Penguin PENGUN kit with tear gas rounds (2 unfired). It is in its original case with the "dash mount and screw" and all paperwork. First of all is it worth anything? Is it illegal to own/use (i do live in CA)? i cant find a date other than on the bottom of the gas rounds they are stamped "jan 64 tear gas" any and all info will be a great help. if it matters it looks like a anodized aluminum.thanks
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Penguin was founded in 1960, and ceased production of the pen-guns sometime in the 70's. The first model was black and white, made for a JA project, and the kids involved thought the coloration made it look like a penguin - thus the company name was born.

Is this what you have?
    penquin.JPG

I have looked around a bit, and find prices all over the map for these, from $7 to $175, depending.

Now, I am NO EXPERT on these; the above is just what I turned up in a web search.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  4. mclobas

mclobas New Member

Ampaterry and Jack404, thanks for the quick reply. Yes that is exactally the one i have.
    much obliged. I guess I'll add it to the mantle, to neat to mess with
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I don't know about CA law (Who does? They seem to make it up on the spot.) but under federal law that type of tear gas gun is legal since it cannot fire or be readily converted to fire regular ammunition. There have been tear gas guns that could fire both tear gas cartridges and standard ammunition - those have been ruled to be an "any other weapon" by BATFE.

Jim
  6. jjmazer

jjmazer New Member

if i have penguin handgun that looks like the one in the picture but it has 2 types of screw in ammo , you pull a knob back a little and push down to cock it then flip it back up , what types of ammo is it and what is it worth?
  7. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I dont suppose that you have pics of what you have?
  8. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

I have Penguin Flare gun, issued way back when...At least as recent as 1966 or 67. It is black, has a lanyard and the flares screw into the gun. Looks very similar to the one shown in the photo. I'll try to get photos of it to post. Been a member here for a few years, never tried to post pix! Looks like it is Navy property! I do recall that we were issued these things when I was flying Scooters from 65 to about 70.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013