People amaze me

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by reynolds357, Nov 29, 2011.

1. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

A while back I bought a virtually new 700 at the pawn shop for a steal. My buddy at the pawn shop told me they sold it to him because they say it wont zero in. It had a Chinese scope on it so I figured that was the problem. I put it in the safe and have not thought about it for over a year. This morning, I pulled it out of the safe to mount a new scope on it and immediately discovered why the old one would not zero. It was mounted on what I call "Redfield mounting system." People call it Leupold now, but it was invented by Redfield and to me it will always be Redfield. The knucklehead that mounted the scope had it canted so far out of whack on the base to the left that he did not have enough windage in the scope to compensate for the wonderful job of mounting that he did.
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Don't complain! Without idiots, the rest of us would have a much harder time getting a good deal!
  3. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Wow, some people are special
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Old saying, "When ever something is made 'fool proof', along comes a better grade of fool."
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  5. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

So the real question is what was the bargain you got on the 700, always wanted one myself.
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Man I wish I cold find deals like that.
  7. nynomad

nynomad New Member

How true!!!
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i had a nice older gent come to me one day and ask about getting a scope zero'd similar story ..

got him sorted and that one gent has sent me soooo much business , we've a few gun store here that are very cheap but they do lousy work .. so follks buy there now and come to me to sort it all

i cant complain eh i'm rather grateful they make a bad rep for themselves ..
  9. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I had a buddy that put the scope on backwards and could not figure out why he couldn't hit sh*t....true story.
  10. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Years ago when still gainfully employed the weekends were my only opportunity to go shooting. My range was always crowded and sometimes people were waiting in line to get a shooting bench. Anyway, many times I have watched shooters almost empty their ammo stores trying to get a gun zeroed that the local gun stores had "zeroed" for them in the store.

Many were amazed when I removed their bolt and made the sight through the bore match the cross hairs of the scope and how that got them really close on the paper.

The point is that most gun stores without a resident gunsmith have no idea how to zero a scope for a customer. Few new shooter understand the concept at all.

LDBennett
  11. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Agree with you 100+ LD.

The gun store clerk will "Bore sight" yer scope and gun for free.

But that is only intended to "Get you in the ball park", at best...:rolleyes:

And make it a little easier for you to zero.

If what I say in incorrect... somebody please correct me.
  12. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vw2CrY9Igs
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    It's not that some folks are fools, but more so that some folks just don't know. I have hunted all my life, but I always used open sights. Scopes are still a mystry to me, so I usually have someone else set them up for me. I just don't have all the swell little tools that a gun smith has, so I do the best I can. I have only had four guns in my life that had scopes on them. A Remington Woodsmaster in 30.06, a.22, a 30-30 that I got from my FIL that was already scoped, and I just purchased a Remington 700 that I have put a scope on, and that scope was given to me. Can you put a scope on a rifle, and have it be cock-eyed? I suppose so, and I bet I can do it too!
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  14. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

700 XCR with Burris Zee "Redfield style" bases and rings. $200. A cheap scope I will sell to somebody for $35 to 50.
    Rifle looks new, one small scratch on stock. By the end of deer season, it will probably have a lot of scratches on stock so that was no big deal.
  15. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Hell Yeah - I don't even mind if you throw a markup on it when you decide to sell it to me ;)
  16. DidI

DidI New Member

Makes ya wonder. I guess if you don't know which end of the scope to look into, or how the whole system works ..... Maybe, just maybe you should not have a gun . . . . At least around me.
    Might be the same crew that believe the .223 is so bad cause the bullets tumble as they go down range. I guess everyone can't pass the Physics class
  17. hunterfisher

hunterfisher New Member

I wish I could find a deal like that.
  18. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Years ago bought a Sako Finnbear Deluxe cheap because the pawn shop though the bolt stop was broken and therefore the bolt would come flying out and kill the shooter. Had to convince them to sell it, sign a waiver, give them a copy of my FFL, the whole deal.

Took it home, took the bolt out and rotated the guide back to the correct side of the bolt, and "fixed." :)
  19. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

That is funny in several different ways. Did they have ANY degree of comprehension of how a bolt action even works?
  20. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Have some fun and count the people with scope cuts and black eyes from shooting poorly mounted scopes before deer season.

The best one I saw had the poor dolt at the gunstore to buy another scope; his zeiss was mounted so close to his eye that it was a wonder he could see thru it at all, he had 2 black eyes and stitches in his forehead. The rifle was a 300 win mag, the poor bugger looked like a raccoon. lucky for him the clerk had pity enough to only take it in back to reposition the scope and charge him $50.00 for the job.
    I was kindly going to offer to buy that pos scope from the guy.....oh well.