People amaze me

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by reynolds357, Nov 29, 2011.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass New Member

He might as well been shooting snap caps, congrats on your rifle.
  2. H-D

H-D Active Member

I got my Browning A-Bolt II from a guy at work who got it from another co-worker who said it didn't shoot "worth a damn" and missed 2 deer with it
    he said "yeah I bore sighted this gun for Steve at the shop and told him to be sure to put it on paper before he shot it, he missed 2 deer wonder if he ever put it on paper?" it had a 30 dollar tasco 3x9x50 he said let's shoot it so he set up a target at 135 yds I shot it twice and he shot it once and a dime would cover all 3 shots without the edges showing it was 6" high and 8" to the right
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  3. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Glad to hear you got a super deal.
  4. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

Some people have all the Luck. Huh, guys?
  5. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Many years ago, my uncle purchased a Savage 99C Deluxe for my cousin (his son) and my cousin mounted a "top end" Bushnell on the rifle, and proceeded over the next 10 years to shoot quite a few whitetail in the hind quarters. The story each time, was that he had aimed at the neck, and couldnt understand why he had clipped the dear in the rump. He eventually decided that the rifle "wouldnt shoot" and told my uncle to put it in HIS gun cabinet and he never wanted to see it again. The rifle sat in the cabinet, sans the scope, for many years, and my cousin tied up the better part of a grand in a new stainless rifle that he hunted with from that point on. After quite a few years, during a casual conversation about god knows what, my uncle asked me to mount one of my spare scopes on the 99 and see if it, in deed, was "inaccurate." In addition, he gave me two boxes of reloads, and two partial boxes of factory ammo, in the appropriate caliber (.308 Win.) I mounted a scope I had lying around, and proceeded to shoot the rifle. I fired some of the 150 gr reloads, and some of the 180 gr reloads, some factory 180's, and also threw in some ammo that I had lying around, including some federal permium 165's, and some factory ammo in both 150 and some old military match 165's and some old military ball 150's. Each type of ammo printed under 2" at 100 yards, and some of the stuff printed 3/4 inch. Finally, after keeping one target from each type of ammo, and labeling each with the specifics, I filled a clip with a mixed bag of ONE FROM EACH BOX that he had given me, and topped it off with one military match round; so the clip had 2 DIFFERENT 180 loads, 2 different 150 loads and a "match" 165. The resulting 5 shot group, measured just under 2 1/2 inches at 100; not bad for a mixed bag of loads! When I took the rifle back, I took it to my COUSIN, not my uncle. His 15 year old son took one look at the piles of targets, and in particular, the one with the 5 DIFFERENT loads and immediately "appropriated" the rifle, WITH MY SPARE SCOPE, for his future deer expeditions! Suffice it to say, it certainly wasnt the RIFLE that created so much "hind quarter damage" all those years! Oh, did I mention my "marksman" cousin is ex-military, too? ;)
  6. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

I almost did the same thing until I found I had put the scope on wrong, once I figured that out it shot pretty good.
  7. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Good story all except for knocking "high end" Bushnell. Bushnell's "high end" stuff is top quality now. I went from a Bushnell hater to a Bushnell lover. I think they should do themselves a favor and market everything except the Elites under a different name so people would quit associating them with junk.
  8. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Actually, Reynolds, they did the exact opposite. The high end ones were sold as Bausch & Lomb for years, until the politically correct board of directors decided that it might affect them "politically" in their other optic lines, like contact lenses, glasses, microscopes, etc. So they changed their top end stuff from B&L to Bushnell.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It takes all kinds to make a world...
  10. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 New Member

I had a guy come to me last week wanting to learn to hunt hogs. He's an officer in the military, in his 30's and has never hunted. He also has never shot a rifle. NEVER!!! Not even in basic (He started ROTC). Was thinking of buying a .22 to learn how. Tuesday, he came out to the club so that he could shoot my A-Bolt Hunter in 7mm r.m. HE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO PUT IT UP TO HIS SHOULDER! It was frankly scary to see him try to mount the rifle; the butt was down by his right nipple and he was leaning back and craning his head over to see through the scope, with his eye right in the eyepiece. Fortunately I was able to correct him (to some extent).

I've been shooting for so long now that it didn't even OCCUR to me that he'd have to learn how to just put the gun to his shoulder.

That's a first for me. I'm thinking it's a good idea now for him to buy a .22 just to learn basic form.
  11. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I cant swear by it, but I am almost 100% certain that Bausch and Laumb sold their scope division and would not allow the name B&L to go with the sale.
  12. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

myfriendis410:

Along a similar line (newby shooter) I tried to teach my 10 year old grandson how to shoot 22 rifle. He was having an awful time sighting with open sights on the little 22. A couple days later he realized that he was sighting with his left eye while holding the rifle for right hand shooting. I watched him while he was shooting and did not pick that up but did notice he was behind the gun all wrong. When I tired to correct his hold he complained he could not see the sights. DUH..... Next time out we'll get it right even if I have to block out his left eye on the shooting glasses . He obviously is left eye dominant but right handed.

But how in the world did a military officer get to be an officer without every qualifying with any gun???? Where is the military today???

LDBennett
  13. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 New Member

My thoughts exactly. My best friend (in the Air Force) has always said that HE is in the military and everyone else around him is in the Air Force. (He was a combat controller and Air Force Special Forces)
  14. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie New Member

a long time ago before the whole world and everyone in it had a machine gun or automatic rifle, those of us in the military were taught to use one round for one target and make it count. Now I think the method is to spray bullets and pray you hit your target. Just old thoughts from a old coastie
  15. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

thats why I NEVER buy anything used! :)
  16. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

[COLOR="Cyan"]Along a similar line (newby shooter) I tried to teach my 10 year old grandson how to shoot 22 rifle. He was having an awful time sighting with open sights on the little 22. A couple days later he realized that he was sighting with his left eye while holding the rifle for right hand shooting. I watched him while he was shooting and did not pick that up but did notice he was behind the gun all wrong. When I tired to correct his hold he complained he could not see the sights. DUH..... Next time out we'll get it right even if I have to block out his left eye on the shooting glasses . He obviously is left eye dominant but right handed.
    [/COLOR]

I have had to teach my daughter to shoot with the same condition, put a bit of clear scotch tape over the right eye center of his shooting glasses and set him up so he can comfortably bench rest a rifle on his left shoulder. I found that when my daughter started hitting clay targets she forgot about the position being "odd" and accepted it.If he wants to use the right hand on the trigger and the left to hold the rifle ....let him, he will sort it out. It may be a help to let him shoot a scoped rifle to build confidance and proove his eye dominance.
  17. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

CHW2021:

Thanks but he is right handed and left eye dominant (exactly like me!). His mistake was holding the gun for a right hander then trying to use his left eye to sight with. I didn't realize he was doing that and tried to correct the resultant shooting position behind the gun bench rested. Then he said he couldn't see the sights. DUH.... It never crossed my mind that he was trying to aim with the wrong eye. He came up with what he was doing (realizing it was wrong) a few days later while contemplating who knows what. We'll get him shooting correctly the next time out now that we know what was wrong.

I use to have to use the tape over the glasses when shotgunning with both eyes open. I eventually made a sight that could only be seen with the right eye and not the left) that was a glowing dot down a long tube. Then someone started making it and I put theirs on my shotguns. It works great for shotguns.

LDBennett
  18. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

When I worked at Dicks in Ma, I sold a guy a rifle and a scope.I offered to bore sight it in and he said he could do it. He came back in a few days later and said the scope was junk. The Jackass put it on backwards...!Nuff said!:)